Should mum move into sheltered accom??...

saskia

Aug 10, 2015
North Essex
Hi all

my mums memory loss is noticely worsened in 6 months (she's 76) but she refuses to seek help as her day to day living is good, still quite independent, does her shopping (house is immaculate/ dog gets fed & walked / she's clean / make up on etc etc..)

she lives alone a a village and has recently made noises about getting her house valued & moving into the town where i live, which does make sense.

i mentioned Sheltered Accom (which funnily enough -mum was a warden / carer for many years in 2 of these) but as an ex warden / carer she is refusing this ''i don't need to live with old people'' :)D!!)

I know this will be a huge upheaval for mum & i'm just wondering, will it be the best thing? her house isn't huge but she has given up with the garden, which my oh does, and not being near shops & me does concern me.

any thought gratefully appreciated!

Sas :)

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
I would be worried that any change to her routine might lead to a big deterioration. At the moment she is coping and while moving her early might benefit her it may just removal all that she knows and can do on her own.

Long-Suffering

Jul 6, 2015
If she's keen and you are also keen, then I think it might be a good idea to do it now rather than later. If/when her condition deteriorates, it'll be a lot easier for you to keep an eye on her/care for her if she lives closer to you.

I have been advising my parents for 10 years to move into a smaller house b/c mum was finding it too difficult to look after. She refused (typically!) but now she has done her usual 180 degree turn and complains about not having moved ten years ago b/c now she is too old to move! I think you are very lucky that your mum is volunteering to make what sounds like a positive move.

LS

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I would be worried that any change to her routine might lead to a big deterioration. At the moment she is coping and while moving her early might benefit her it may just removal all that she knows and can do on her own.

Thats very ture.
As
People with dementia experience greater difficulty when attempting to do new things.

My mother sold up moved abroad after my father passed away to a country my mother born in.
The deterioration was rapped heartbreaking to experience. I even help my mother with the move.
Mum never wanted me to go back to England. Wanted to come back with me!

Mum was getting lost in the streets,
Streets my mother new all her life.
wondering into the streets at night looking for me
Then mum got diagnosed out there .

My advice would be Talk to a dementia nurse about it before making any move.

Last edited: