Off to the GP next week

Louise55

Aug 7, 2015
Can anyone give advice as to what I should be asking for at this stage? Mum has no diagnosis but her memory problems have worsened a lot in the past 6 months despite her insisting she's fine. I had a phone consultation with the GP a few months ago and he said he hadn't seen her for several years (which seems strange as she is meant to have regular blood tests for various meds) and would invite her in for an appointment. Of course they won't tell me if she's been and Mother can't remember! Thought it best to go along on my own to start with but don't know what tests etc I should be asking about.Last time he told me there was no point in an assessment if Mother is in denial.
Thanks.

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
Hello Louise and welcome to TP.

Yes my mother started like that, refusing to go for appointments, blood tests etc. What took us was when she fell, and we called a doctor, as she was cornered so to speak, it was arranged for the tests and yes dementia diagnosed.

I will say it is hard to get her to go for anything. Her attitude now is if they want to see me then they can come to the house.

But I know you will get loads of advice and help here.

Suzanna1969

Mar 28, 2015
Essex
I was lucky because I managed to get Mum to write a letter permitting disclosure to the GP. I then emailed him and asked if he could do a memory test without her being aware in advance what the appointment was for.

If you can persuade her that you need that letter so you can pick up her meds, for example, that might be the way forward. My Mum is very easy going to the point where she will let others just take over, especially if Dad assures her it's a good idea. No idea how I would cope if she was resistant, although she often forgets she's been diagnosed and gets very upset about how her 'brain doesn't seem to be working properly anymore'. :(

JayGun

Jun 24, 2013
My mother in law is totally in denial and was very resistant to the idea of any doctor's appointments, so we challenged her a bit.

We said if everything's fine then go, do the test, prove we're ridiculous ninnies and then you can crow about it and lord it over us from now until the end of time. :D

She went, she did the Mini Mental State Exam and scored 22/30 - which led to blood tests and brain scans and eventually a diagnosis of Alzheimer's.

I would disagree with the doctor that there's no point if she's in denial. It's difficult, but what's the alternative? Just leaving her to it? Lots of things can cause memory issues and brain fog, the doctor should be ruling them out. If you make a list of things you've seen that you're concerned about, the GP has a duty of care to investigate. Don't be fobbed off.

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
Can anyone give advice as to what I should be asking for at this stage? Mum has no diagnosis but her memory problems have worsened a lot in the past 6 months despite her insisting she's fine. I had a phone consultation with the GP a few months ago and he said he hadn't seen her for several years (which seems strange as she is meant to have regular blood tests for various meds) and would invite her in for an appointment. Of course they won't tell me if she's been and Mother can't remember! Thought it best to go along on my own to start with but don't know what tests etc I should be asking about.Last time he told me there was no point in an assessment if Mother is in denial.
Thanks.

Hi!
First thing is get a letter of permission from mum to go on gps files..They will update you then if you ask..

First things needed bloods to check b12 ferritin vitamin d etc. Or infection..If these come back ok..then request a referral to the memory clinic consultant.
They ll look into it further bit don't expect things to happen quickly...
If you think there's a deterioration then keep ringing them.
They ll look at all the history and do some test.
You can still contact people like the alzheimers society in mean time for support!.

We waited nearly 2 hrs for a diagnosis..
The society support was vital for us as a family.
Read the societies factsheets on getting diagnosis etc...

Best wishes