Refusing food and drink

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I'm so sorry for your loss. It must be a very difficult and sad time for you and your family.

Please accept my condolences.

Try to be strong and at peace in yourself.

Take care

Lyn T XX

Padraig

Dec 10, 2009
Hereford
Tell me why

The following pictures were taken at the NH my wife was in soon after these were taken she gave up and was bedridden and refused food and drink. The baby in the picture is a great granddaughter, then newly born.
I chose to take my wife home and look after her on my own in my own way. It was no easy task learning how to improve her quality of life. The picture of her in the wheelchair with the same great granddaughter a few years later. I have many pictures and CDs of our years learning to live with Alzheimer's.
Maybe some one can tell me why, or how I managed to change her condition? I'm no expert, just someone that refuses to follow conventional thinking. I'm not sure if my experiences are of any help to anyone.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 338
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 321
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 362
  • 559.jpg
    559.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 342

elaina

Aug 10, 2015
Somerset
I went to see my dad to say goodbye as he is no longer able to swallow and is dying. I kissed him and saw his eyes light up. Completely heart breaking process. Cannot communicate in any way.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I went to see my dad to say goodbye as he is no longer able to swallow and is dying. I kissed him and saw his eyes light up. Completely heart breaking process. Cannot communicate in any way.

Let us know how things are, elaina. Heartbreaking time. xx

Long-Suffering

Jul 6, 2015

He knows you are there - that's the important thing.

LS

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon

Elaina-your Dad can communicate. His eyes lit up when he saw you. Always remember that-he was communicating his pleasure at seeing you.

Yes it is all so very heartbreaking

Love

Lyn T XX

Padraig

Dec 10, 2009
Hereford
As I discovered with my wife, there are many reasons why people stop eating and drinking. It must be almost impossible for staff in a NH to tackle the underlying causes, as it would take too much time with each patient. A familiar environment helps. As for communication, one does not require speech, there's sight, sound, taste, smell and touch. Familiar faces, places, sounds, tastes and smell can revive happy childhood memories of a time and place. A loving touch requires no words as dogs can show.
We moved a way from my wife's home town when we married. I made a point of phoning her sisters in Co. Durham from time to time, and asked them to speak to her, in order she could listen to the Geordie accent of her youth. It was quiet a revelation to observe her face as she listened on the phone.

The one overriding fact I'm pleased with is, that I took no notice of the 'experts' when it came to solving and dealing with the underlying causes of her refusal to drink and eat. When I first fed her, hours later the meal shot back up. I wondered why that was? There were two reasons.

It's now time I was moving on with my life. It's often said 'one size does not fit all, we are all different'. Yet the same approach is preached time and again and followed with many of the problems encountered with Alzheimer's patients.
I wish you well.