Further advice or help please, if possible.

MrsChristmas

Jun 1, 2015
Hello

My mum is nearly 90 and has become very forgetful in this past year. She tells the same stories from the 1940's and 50's over and over again. I invite her for dinner every saturday because my Dad died 3 years ago because I know she is lonely. I just end up listening to the same stories or telling Mum the same information over and over again. We are going on holiday in August and I tell her where about 10 times and this triggers the same stories from the 1940s. We are going away in October and I have told Mum where about 20 times! I don't mind because I care about her.

I was advised by this lovely forum to try and get Mum to her GP but she has flatly refused saying that she just wants to be left alone. She will not agree to an LPA, no way.

Mum does cope reasonably well on her own but I am giving more help and support as the weeks past. Recently, I have noticed that she gets stressed and upset easily now, especially where her memory is failing or when things go wrong.

She has got into a cycle of a daily routine and, for her, the time passes by without her noticing. Meanwhile, the garden is getting overgrown. She used to be such a tidy person now stuff is left out on her kitchen work surfaces or cups are sometimes just left in the sink instead being put in the dishwasher. When I go around I sneakily tidy up for her!

My mum is happy which is a good thing, but whether she is safe is another. She does not sleep well and lies in until mid morning and the rest of the day is spent pottering or watching TV. She does not go out except when I take her shopping or invite her over for dinner.

Anyway, I am rambling sorry to be boring.

I did get Mum to the GP last Friday but as usual she would not let me go in with her. All I know is that the GP took Mum's BP which was too high and her eye drops were sorted out for her Glaucoma. The GP asked if she was eating okay (Mum wieghs 6 stone) and that was it. Mum has to go back in September but she does not know why.

Now I am wondering if I have made a fuss over nothing. I did email the GP and the Practice Manager about my concerns but I am left none the wiser.

What do you think I should do next, if anything?

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
Hello

My mum is nearly 90 and has become very forgetful in this past year. She tells the same stories from the 1940's and 50's over and over again. I invite her for dinner every saturday because my Dad died 3 years ago because I know she is lonely. I just end up listening to the same stories or telling Mum the same information over and over again. We are going on holiday in August and I tell her where about 10 times and this triggers the same stories from the 1940s. We are going away in October and I have told Mum where about 20 times! I don't mind because I care about her.

I was advised by this lovely forum to try and get Mum to her GP but she has flatly refused saying that she just wants to be left alone. She will not agree to an LPA, no way.

Mum does cope reasonably well on her own but I am giving more help and support as the weeks past. Recently, I have noticed that she gets stressed and upset easily now, especially where her memory is failing or when things go wrong.

She has got into a cycle of a daily routine and, for her, the time passes by without her noticing. Meanwhile, the garden is getting overgrown. She used to be such a tidy person now stuff is left out on her kitchen work surfaces or cups are sometimes just left in the sink instead being put in the dishwasher. When I go around I sneakily tidy up for her!

My mum is happy which is a good thing, but whether she is safe is another. She does not sleep well and lies in until mid morning and the rest of the day is spent pottering or watching TV. She does not go out except when I take her shopping or invite her over for dinner.

Anyway, I am rambling sorry to be boring.

I did get Mum to the GP last Friday but as usual she would not let me go in with her. All I know is that the GP took Mum's BP which was too high and her eye drops were sorted out for her Glaucoma. The GP asked if she was eating okay (Mum wieghs 6 stone) and that was it. Mum has to go back in September but she does not know why.

Now I am wondering if I have made a fuss over nothing. I did email the GP and the Practice Manager about my concerns but I am left none the wiser.

What do you think I should do next, if anything?

What my mum's doctor did was to book her in for another BP check and got her to do a memory test at the same time. I was lucky, our wonderful GP spotted the signs in mum when we went for something else and said privately to me that she was worried about her and asked me if I had noticed anything.