Day centre and POA

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
My husband attends a day centre.
The invoices are addressed to him, and I pay them by cheque from our joint account.
The company that runs the day centre have asked me to supply them with a copy of the POA.
I have never heard this mentioned anywhere before, and always assumed that it was just banks and financial institutions that required this.
Anyone had any experience of this, please?

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
It might be a new thing as Mum's place are now asking for a POA as well.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Could it be linked to confidential information? That they need to be sure they're discussing personal matters with somebody who has the legal right to know.

I too find it strange, but I think sadly these days, it's something that is more prevalent, I would guess through fractured families. Only my thoughts.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Have always been asked for POA where payments are involved. It was the first thing we did when diagnosed. Fortunately my OH was very cooperative in having it done. Hoping to do it for me too to prevent any future problems.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Hoping to do it for me too to prevent any future problems.

I have just completed my forms and am almost ready to send them off! I had POA for my late husband and would hate to leave my affairs in a mess.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Had to provide POA when I wanted to change address on our gas servicing with British Gas. Already being paid from joint account which didn't change.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Most of our household bills are in his or our joint names, and are paid from the joint account.
It would never occur to me that a utility company for example would need a copy of the POA, so I was surprised that the care company requested it.
I have always understood it to be an important and sensitive document, only usually needed by banks really, or for investment purposes.
Maybe it is a new thing, as Onlyme says.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
....and if you refused ? Would that then mean they wouldn't take the cheque you were writing?

Crazy! As long a the bill is paid, what on earth does it matter if the person has a POA?

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
The strangest thing I came across is that HMRC refused to accept my husband's self assessment return which I had completed and signed on his behalf saying that I had LPA and sending a photocopy. They refused to accept it and said they must have the original or a certified copy and I was trying to pay them money!