Hearing Aids - Affordable for Dementia Loved One in NH

mcdonald

Aug 6, 2015
For 3 years we've struggled to keep Mom's hearing aid with her vs. having it misplaced by the staff - now it appears to have stopped working and needs to replaced. Mom is an Alzheimer's patient who rarely opens her eyes - to lose one more of the major senses will be way too damaging to her. Does anyone have experience with and can recommend something affordable? Her funds are quite low and don't come near to cost of anything I've researched. If you have any suggestions at all, please share back with details of type, make, manufacturer, cost and any other info you think may be helpful.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
For 3 years we've struggled to keep Mom's hearing aid with her vs. having it misplaced by the staff - now it appears to have stopped working and needs to replaced. Mom is an Alzheimer's patient who rarely opens her eyes - to lose one more of the major senses will be way too damaging to her. Does anyone have experience with and can recommend something affordable? Her funds are quite low and don't come near to cost of anything I've researched. If you have any suggestions at all, please share back with details of type, make, manufacturer, cost and any other info you think may be helpful.

I totally agree. Basic human dignity, in the form of hearing, seeing and eating (aids, glasses, teeth) is essential for anyone, but especially for someone with dementia.

As far as I am aware, she is entitled to a free, suitable for her hearing loss, hearing aid from the NHS

My mum is self funding.

Due to the level of her hearing loss, she was prescribed a hearing aid from the NHS.

My thoughts
Possibly a quick route to get replacement hearing aids...

If her pervious hearing aids were private ones, I would contact the company that provided them and ask for the...... ummm I guess it would be called a prescription..... of the hearing aid they provided.

Then get mum referred to the NHS for hearing aids.

Ear piece..... Maybe, but I have no idea, the private company will have a mould, so a new one could be made, alternatively, in mums case, she could have a visit at her care home from the audiology department to make a mould and have a hearing test if needed, rather than her having to go to the hospital. Maybe they have that service in your area.

Strangely enough... I have just been involved in getting a replacement hearing aid for my mother from the NHS. They had her "prescription" and luckily I still had her (very) old private hearing aids, so we were able to use the ear pieces from them.... but I'm not like usual people and I am known for keeping EVERYTHING just incase :D

It only took 1 day to get the replacement.

Maybe if you still have any of her old hearing aids, you too could use those ear pieces....

xx

Edited to say: I see you still have the hearing aids, so the ear piece shouldn't be a problem for you phew :)

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point