Voting

byrnedjp

Mar 21, 2013
London
Keep getting letters about voting and updating details/register to vote etc.
My Uncle has no interest in this anymore and ive always kept his details up to date until now...
Is there any Govt process in place for people with dementia and their right to vote?
(sounds like an anomaly but no offence meant)

Ive kept his Freedom pass updated for the very same reason - he will never use it again but i find it depressing and sad to terminate things of this nature........

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
I don't think allowing a person a vote is 'stupid'.

How linked up do you think the system is?

Get the polling card, vote or don't.

Plenty of people in the UK with capacity, don't exercise the right, to me it should be an obligation.

I wish they would fine people in the UK who didn't vote without a good reason.

byrnedjp

Mar 21, 2013
London
Its important to provide the information requested on the attached form ; if you dont you could be fined £1,000

this is stated on my Uncles letter

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Indeed, it turns out you are right. :(

Perhaps that should be a smile. :)

Upon thinking about it....how would they know you didn't vote if you didn't register?

How could they supply services if they were unaware of your presence?

How can they predict the services required if they don't know who lives in the Borough?

So I take back the frown, replace it with a smile and refer to my previous post...get the polling card and vote or don't vote but add the codicil that you should have a good reason or get fined again :)

Last edited:

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
The voting thing is an anomaly, isn't it? My mother was fiercely left-wing all her life but recently she thinks the tories are great. She still gets sent the voting card but isn't able to get out and about to use it.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
My son was registered in two different counties and got 2 polling cards.

That was before the new rules... I understand That each individual needs to register to vote now.

He was "on the list" at uni and on our home address "list"

I threw mums letter in the bin, but not before I shredded it. Just incase.
Thinking if someone from the council gets in contact, that will be a first....

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point