4 weeks in bed then he got up! Is this normal

Cyro

Aug 4, 2015
My 97 year old father with dementia has a 24 hour carer and 4 weeks ago he became unwell, took himself to bed, stopped eating and has been sleeping all day and night and has barely got up. He can barely walk now, the doctor has been a few times and naturally we have been so worried about him and then tonight he decided to get up and eat pancakes and custard for supper! Is this normal. It is like a roller coaster.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
My 97 year old father with dementia has a 24 hour carer and 4 weeks ago he became unwell, took himself to bed, stopped eating and has been sleeping all day and night and has barely got up. He can barely walk now, the doctor has been a few times and naturally we have been so worried about him and then tonight he decided to get up and eat pancakes and custard for supper! Is this normal. It is like a roller coaster.

I'd just be pleased:) Nothing normal or abnormal with dementia it seems.
Best wishes

Sue

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
This happened to my MIL too.
She was taken into hospital with a UTI and suddenly went downhill, stopped eating and drinking and there was talk about the Liverpool pathway :eek: Then she suddenly got up and started eating again!
I cant say thats its normal, but Ive heard of this happening to other people too.

Cyro

Aug 4, 2015
Today he is back in bed and sleeping again. Looks like this will be a roller coaster for some time

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Go with the flow!
does he have reason to get up? Maybe , if he can, his carer could encourage him to get up when he has visitor , if he is able.

Cyro

Aug 4, 2015
He is always encouraged to get up. He always refuses and becomes very aggressive and just goes back to sleep

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point