Dad has bumped head twice!!!

99purdy

Oct 31, 2014
Hi Everbody, Been called twice in the last two days by the NH. Dad has bumped his head twice and been knocked out for about 15 minutes both times. The NH had rang 999 on both occasions. When I arrived at the hospital he looked stiff, very pale and unresponsive for at least 3 hours after bump. A+E consultant brilliant both times, did scan, blood test, urine test nothing. Sent back to NH where he ate jam and toast but still very unsteady on feet and sleepy. He is now sporting a huge black eye. Has anybody else experienced this? I have a feeling something else is going on. He has not had temperature though but pulse at one stage was only 30!!

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Hi Everbody, Been called twice in the last two days by the NH. Dad has bumped his head twice and been knocked out for about 15 minutes both times. The NH had rang 999 on both occasions. When I arrived at the hospital he looked stiff, very pale and unresponsive for at least 3 hours after bump. A+E consultant brilliant both times, did scan, blood test, urine test nothing. Sent back to NH where he ate jam and toast but still very unsteady on feet and sleepy. He is now sporting a huge black eye. Has anybody else experienced this? I have a feeling something else is going on. He has not had temperature though but pulse at one stage was only 30!!

Oh my dear Purdy. It awful when this happens isn't it. Mum has had some hum-dingers of falls and bruises. The bruises look so horrific don't they but in mums case it's because she is on aspirin and her skin is so fragile, that even holding her arm to keep her balanced can cause pressure bruises on her arm.

Yes, after each massive smack to the floor, mum did have a huge downturn, but after a while, whilst she wasn't quite back where she was before the fall, she did rally round and was able to "carry on" as "usual"

I have no idea, no do the hospital or care staff, if mum is having Tia or "blackouts" as all ct scans, X-rays etc come back as normal.

Hugs to you

xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Mum after a fall - It's a large pic, don't know how to make it smaller.

ImageUploadedByTalking Point1438468129.355853.jpg

99purdy

Oct 31, 2014
Oh goodness 2 jays that looks awful!! Dad is exactly the same. The thing that worries me is that for 3 hours he was very unresponsive, ticked feet etc nothing. Paramedic gave very high stimuli no response. Yet when he came round he asked for toast and jam. Most times he can not string a sentence together. May be it is just another stage of this awful illness. X

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
I think you are right. Another stage of this illness :(

No matter what you read, no matter how you cope, or for how long.... This fluffing illness will always pull the rug from under your feet. The only thing that gets me through, is taking each day as it comes. do my best not to prepare and so think of possibles or even probables.... They - the possibles - don't always happen, nor do the probables for everyone.

We become experts on our own lonely field of expertise. Everyone presents differently. Once you've met a person with dementia, you have met one person with dementia

Once you are a carer, and then meet a carer.... you are not alone. Doesn't matter if the caring is for different diseases.... A carer is a carer and totally understands xxxxx

99purdy

Oct 31, 2014
Hi 2jays, could not agree more with everything you said. I use my little iPad to google, not always a good idea. My good friend who is a GP will give good advise. Then something different else happens. I would love somebody to tell me this could happen or Dad may experience this. Unfortunately Mr Lewy body always has other ideas. It is just nice to share experiences with others who understand. Must admit before Dads illness was very uneducated with regards to dementia. X

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
On the occasions OH had to go to A&E. It was concluded it was part of the ups and downs of dementia. Nobody could point out the 'ups'.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland

Low pulse can be associated with drugs like Aricept which is why my husband was unable to take it as his normal pulse is 38 or so. I was told that he would be liable to faints if his pulse fell any lower. Could this be the case with your Dad?

99purdy

Oct 31, 2014
Hi Marionq, Dad was on Memantine but this made his behaviour worse. He currently is not on any medication, except diazepam when really needed. He is very agitated at the moment, prior to his falls, I think he does not feel well. It is a shame you cannot just ask how he feels then you could be more helpful. X

Blogg

Jul 24, 2014
Hi Purdy, sorry to hear about your Dad's falls it's very disturbing seeing them so bruised. My Dad had Lewy body too, one of the features of LBD is the loss of the ability to control autonomic functions, so the erratic blood pressure can be related to that which in turn could be causing the falls. I'm not sure how or if these falls can be prevented without 24hr one to one care, which isn't available. Thinking of you.