Mum's report from MS Tissue Bank

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Hi

You may remember that my mum donated her brain and spinal cord to the MS tissue bank.

Last month, two years after the donation, I had a report through from the neuro pathology team.

It confirmed that my mum had suffered chronic MS and associated symptoms of dementia, which it said may have "overlapped" with the MS symptoms.

I just wanted to say how helpful it was to me to have this written report to show that Mum's donation had been useful to the team (who work in London), and how it has comforted me. I hope that doesn't sound strange. It helps to know, somehow, that some good may have come from her donation, in helping understand MS and dementia more.

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Organ donation's often described as the "last gift" isn't it? I'm glad you feel comforted that your Mum's gift has helped others to have better lives in the future.

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello pied, it doesn't sound strange that you feel comforted by the written report about your mum's brain and spinal cord donation. It's good to know that her donation may help others in the future. How are you.?

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
AC I hadn't heard that saying but it's lovely and one I shall remember!

Turbo, how lovely to hear from you. I am very well at the moment, thank you :)

I keep on taking the tamoxifen and each check up I get worked up and it's very hard to focus on anything other than the hospital and the looming visit. All has been ok so far but I am very careful to just live from day to day. I have a great sense of perspective on life.

Son is home from university and he has a job for his year in industry which he starts in September. He has a house lined up and will be earning :D

LittleMissPied is going into Year 9 :)eek:) and is very happy at school.

Mr Pied is unwell, we had to cancel our holiday to Greece last week, but hopefully he should make a full recovery. So, I am nursing him at the moment! And that's my summer holiday! :eek: Things could be a lot worse.

I have missed TP - it hardly seems two years since Mum died, it was 23 June 2013. I occasionally read through the thread I started during her last week, it's such a comfort to me. And, I still feel she is watching over me. The other day, one of her favourite films came on telly just as I was thinking of her. "Now, Voyager" with Bette Davis (who said in an interview "old age is not for sissies". I sat and watched it and thought of Mum.

How are you? Hope you are ok. :)

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
I'm ok, thank you for asking.
What a shame about having to cancel your holiday. Hope Mr Pied is better soon.
I can imagine how stressful it must be as it gets near to the date of your check ups.
It's so good to read that Miss Pied and Master Pied are doing well.
I do remember your mum's smile and how she loved all the food treats you took in for her.

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Pied

It`s lovely to hear from you and I`m so pleased you feel the benefit of the report following your mum`s tissue donation.

I felt the same after Dhiren donated his brain.

I hope it will comfort you even more to hear about our Funeral Director. He accompanied Dhiren for his tissue donation and was so impressed with the respect shown and the way the procedure was conducted he went home, had a word with his wife and donated his own brain too.

Keep well Pied .

PS. I`ve just seen your post to Helen. I`m staying with her now. I don`t think she`s seen your post yet she`s busy cooking and baking. I`ll let her know you`ve been on. She`ll be pleased.

Last edited:

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Hi Sylvia - Lovely to hear from you :)

I am thrilled your funeral director donated his own brain. I have said the MS people can have mine when I have finished with it too!

It is a great thing to do I think.

Thanks for telling Helen I have posted to her.

xx