Carer's Credit

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Don't know if this is a new thing and some of you may know about it already but thought I'd post for those who don't.

On recent documentation from DWP is the following:

If someone is providing care for you they may be entitled to Carer's Credit. This is a NI credit for those under State Pension age who provide care to one or more disabled people for a total of 20 hours or more per week. Carer's Credit may help the person providing care to build up entitlement to a better basic or additional State Pension. If you want more details go to www.gov.uk or 0800 882200

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Thank you for the info Sue:) I hope you are well:)

When I was looking after Pete I received Carers allowance and that entitled me to received NI credits:) However, it doesn't seem to be a well known benefit. I only found out because a man from the DWP visited as as I was about to become an appointee for Pete's state pension/AA etc. He was very nice and went through what I was entitled to-including the Council Tax reduction that I had no idea about. And to think I was very anxious when I was told about the visit to start with:confused:

Love

Lyn T XX

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009

When I was looking after Pete I received Carers allowance and that entitled me to received NI credits:) However, it doesn't seem to be a well known benefit. I only found out because a man from the DWP visited as as I was about to become an appointee for Pete's state pension/AA etc. He was very nice and went through what I was entitled to-including the Council Tax reduction that I had no idea about. And to think I was very anxious when I was told about the visit to start with:confused:

Love

Lyn T XX

Hi Lyn:)

I'm Okish today:) thank you.

I am glad you got the help you did, caring for Pete, but as you say the system isn't an easy one.

I think the Gov are having to recognise that so many people's job is caring for a loved one and they give up many years of working life so lose out in many ways and so many people are bogged down in caring they don't have opportunity to search out these things for themselves or think they shouldn't be entitled.

I hope you are continuing to settle OK, have managed to read your update:) re. oven cleaning:( or new one necessary:confused: you'll soon have it ship shape.

Love
Suexx

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West

Love

Lyn T XX

I had exactly that reaction to such a visit Lyn and also found it very helpful in terms of telling me what Sue might be entitled to.

lexy

Nov 24, 2013
Don't know if this is a new thing and some of you may know about it already but thought I'd post for those who don't.

This has been the case for some time now, I cared for my mother and was not in employment. It was brought in by Gordon Brown to ensure that Carer's did not lose out when they started to claim their State Pension because of caring responsibilities.

I vaguely remember seeing something on all the forms showing how my pension had been calculated about N.I contributions. I have not "lost out" because of my caring for my mum.

Waterlilly

Jul 29, 2015
southwest London

I found I earn too much to get Carers' Allowance ie earn more than £110 per week. I have therefore applied for Carers' Credit to help build up my state pension.
As others have said, no need to apply for Carers' Credit if you are getting Carers' Allowance as the NIC aspect is already covered by that.
Such a lot of things to find out! Only found out about Carers' Credit by seeing it mentioned on the back of a leaflet.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I found I earn too much to get Carers' Allowance ie earn more than £110 per week. I have therefore applied for Carers' Credit to help build up my state pension.
As others have said, no need to apply for Carers' Credit if you are getting Carers' Allowance as the NIC aspect is already covered by that.
Such a lot of things to find out! Only found out about Carers' Credit by seeing it mentioned on the back of a leaflet.

I'd never heard of Carer's credit Waterlilly, Carer's allowance yes. I wonder if it can be given retrospectively if people can prove they have been caring but not been aware of it to claim?

Waterlilly

Jul 29, 2015
southwest London
It can be requested from the start of the last full tax year. You can download the form from the govt website and see explanatory notes.
It is a bit like getting NIC credits when you are not working but are getting child benefit - all counts towards your pension.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
It can be requested from the start of the last full tax year. You can download the form from the govt website and see explanatory notes.
It is a bit like getting NIC credits when you are not working but are getting child benefit - all counts towards your pension.

Thank you :)

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I just checked Sue and you have to look after someone for at least 20 hours per week - which maybe you do? But you don't need to worry about it as you get NI credits paid with any benefits you get yourself, e.g. if you're on ESA you get Class 1 credits automatically.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I just checked Sue and you have to look after someone for at least 20 hours per week - which maybe you do? But you don't need to worry about it as you get NI credits paid with any benefits you get yourself, e.g. if you're on ESA you get Class 1 credits automatically.

I wasn't thinking for me Nita but anyone that wasn't aware of it, but thank you.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
In a way yes, because it stops once you get your State Pension.

I still don't quite understand Carers Credit. If you don't work or earn less than £110 a week, you apply for CA, which contains the NI credits, right? But if you work, surely you get them as well, so when are you actually entitled to CC, ie, how much can you earn and still get that? Because I sure as heck was caring for more than 20 hours a week when I was still working full-time. Could I have applied for it or would it not have made a difference? I read the gov.uk links but they don't actually say.

1mindy

Jul 21, 2015
Shropshire
I only found out about council tax reduction today. 25% if the dementia is diagnosed and.confirmed by a gp. It can be backdated to the start of Attendance Allowance being claimed. It all helps.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
In a way yes, because it stops once you get your State Pension.

I still don't quite understand Carers Credit. If you don't work or earn less than £110 a week, you apply for CA, which contains the NI credits, right? But if you work, surely you get them as well, so when are you actually entitled to CC, ie, how much can you earn and still get that? Because I sure as heck was caring for more than 20 hours a week when I was still working full-time. Could I have applied for it or would it not have made a difference? I read the gov.uk links but they don't actually say.

I guess it depends on what contributions you were paying via your employer, Beate. I was caring and working too. I wonder if it also depends on how pensions are now calculated. Any additions to the basic state pension are obviously based on level of contributions.