My father keeps falling trying to get out of bed

dancingmum

Sep 29, 2009
West Midlands
Urgent help required please. My mum and I care for my dad who is 91. Recently, because his mobility has deteriorated he tries to go to the toilet in the night and his legs cannot support him so he falls. He wears incontinence pants but still wants to get up. We are all very worried and mum who is now very frail is coming to the end of her tether. She refuses help from outside of the family except for a crater who comes in twice a week to bath dad. I am going to France for a week next Friday so I will not be there ( I live with mum and dad) Any help would be very gratefully received. Many thanks

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I went through this with my mother. It is extremely difficult to deal with I know. I'll tell you what I did, although I accept that it could be massively unsafe (and in fact goes against every guideline with regard to safety): I got a toddler bed guard (you know, the sort of thing that stops small children falling out of bed?) from mothercare. Now it worked for Mummy because what was really happening was that she was essentially rolling out of bed, not actively trying to get up. It was enough to stop her trying and call out for me if she really needed to get up.

But as I said: potentially really unsafe.

Have you thought about something like a crash mat beside the bed? It won't stop him trying to get up but it will hopefully stop him from getting hurt when he does. Also, it might be possible to get (from an OT) a bed that basically drops to the floor after the person is it in. Again, it doesn't stop the trying but reduces the possibility of injury.

Last edited:

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
If he is falling on the way to the toilet rather than falling as he stands up out of bed, might he recognize and use a commode placed near the bed? Is a there a movement sensor light or nightlights left on so that he is not trying to move around in the dark?

If you don't already have them, could you get grab rails installed?

You didn't mention whether or not your mother sleeps in the same bed/bedroom and if she hears him trying to get up. That might be useful info for other posters who have found solutions.

Hope you get something sorted so that you can relax and really enjoy your trip. Perhaps there are other family members who can step in and give your mother the extra support she needs while you are away?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My husband used to slide to the floor as he got out of bed because his legs didn`t hold him and he kept forgetting. I had to call paramedics out to help him up. They were always very kind.

The time came when I was calling them at least every night and it was then decided by the CPN, SW and ourselves that he needed 24 hour residential care because we were both at risk.

It sounds as if your mum will be at risk soon too.

I was provided with a half length `cot` side for the bed but it`s effectiveness didn`t last long.

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
I have a similar incontinent problem as your dad
and I am not very stable on my legs , particularly when getting in and out of bed
I was provided by OT with a bed guard that has bottom rails' that slide under the mattress and is about 2 ft in length , without it I do not have the strength to get out of bed .When I get some stability I have the use of a walking frame
The guard also helps in getting back into bed without any other assistance
jimbo

dancingmum

Sep 29, 2009
West Midlands
Many thanks

Thank you all Mum sleeps with dad in their double bed He has a small bed side aid but I think what happens basically is he gets out of bed goes to the commode at the bottom of the bed and then when he sits on the bed to try to get in he slides onto the floor as when we go in to help lift him he is sitting on his bottom on the floor with his knees pulled up. We have suggested every possible solution but mum resists, basically because we are always there as we live together. I am working as a Headteacher and do everything I can but I am now terrified that I am not going to be able to have the only break I get each year. Have tried to get an overnight sitter for the week but am not having much luck. Oh and by the way I also help my 92 year old aunt who lives next door as well as my mum and dad. My aunts daughter is moving into aunties for the week but she won't be able to lift dad .

Bill Owen

Feb 17, 2014
BRIDGEND
urgent help required please. My mum and i care for my dad who is 91. Recently, because his mobility has deteriorated he tries to go to the toilet in the night and his legs cannot support him so he falls. He wears incontinence pants but still wants to get up. We are all very worried and mum who is now very frail is coming to the end of her tether. She refuses help from outside of the family except for a crater who comes in twice a week to bath dad. I am going to france for a week next friday so i will not be there ( i live with mum and dad) any help would be very gratefully received. Many thanks

call s/worker you can get a side bar for the .side of the bed this my help i have one for my wife good luck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa