Hello all glad I found this place

PeterD2

Mar 11, 2015
My Mum has Alzheimer's and has been living at home with me as her carer. Things were OK until about a month ago, her medication was changed and she became very agitated and was taken into hospital. They've given her new medication and we are now looking at a care plan to get her back home.

I've quite a few questions to ask and have already found a lot of useful info here.

Pete

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
My Mum has Alzheimer's and has been living at home with me as her carer. Things were OK until about a month ago, her medication was changed and she became very agitated and was taken into hospital. They've given her new medication and we are now looking at a care plan to get her back home.

I've quite a few questions to ask and have already found a lot of useful info here.

Pete

welcome to TP Peter, just to say someone on here will know the answer as we are all going through the same thing, just different degrees

min88cat

Apr 6, 2010
Hi Peter

All I would say is make sure that you entirely happy with how your Mum is on the new medication before she is discharged. Also make sure that you are 100% happy with the care package.

Quite often people with Alz/dementia are sent home too quickly (this happened with my MIL, and resulted in 2 failed discharges) as they are bed blocking, but discharge too early can be a nightmare.

Any questions just come and ask, there is a wealth of knowledge and experience here.

PeterD2

Mar 11, 2015
Thanks for the replies.

The medication looks like its working OK now and she wants to come home, it's frustrating for her and the rest of the family.

The care package looks very expensive to me not sure what this will do to her bank account. The council's finances explanation looks complicated.

hisstessa2

Feb 19, 2015
USA

Pete
This site was my crutch for 2 years. Lean on it Peter

nannylondon

Apr 7, 2014
London

Pete

Hi Peter.
Glad you have found TP it has been really helpful for me especially the last few months I have been given fantastic support and advice good luck with your mum

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hello Peter, a warm welcome to Talking Point and hope we can be of help to you:) enough to deal with dementia but oh then finances comes into it, it feesl so intrusive doesn't it:eek: so much advice here and I hope this link may help:-
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=160
Please keep posting and hoping that a affordable and helpful and above all caring care plan is put into place on mums return to her home.
Take care
Chris

PeterD2

Mar 11, 2015
Just a quick update.

Mum has been home for three weeks now, she's improved a huge amount since leaving hospital. I think there's been a definite change in her condition it wasn't just the medication change. She seems to have settled into that medication and is much happier back in her home.

They have given her a hospital type bed, a commode chair and a table on wheels. She doesn't like any of them!

I got a PIR alarm in case she gets up in the night which is brilliant, the pressure pad type they provided is useless.

Next job is to find a nice wheelchair so I can get her out a bit, if it stops raining. 16 or 18 inch, does it matter a lot? Any recommendations?

Pete

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
How very positive Pete.

My husband's wheelchair was provided by the NHS. We had to give his measurements so that he got the right size for him. I also asked for a lightweight folding one so that I can get it into the car boot. He had to be referred by the district nurse. The GP got her to contact me. We didn't have to wait long but I don't know how waiting times are in your area.

You can also borrow wheelchairs from the Red Cross. I wondered if this would help you try one out to get a feel of what suits or to fill in until you got one from NHS.

Just a thought! Good luck.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
How very positive Pete.

You can also borrow wheelchairs from the Red Cross. I wondered if this would help you try one out to get a feel of what suits or to fill in until you got one from NHS.

Just a thought! Good luck.

We did that and it worked brilliantly. Unfortunately mum went into a CH so we never got her own wheelchair and we just borrow one of the CH ones, but it definitely let us find out what she needed and what would fit in the boot of the car.

PeterD2

Mar 11, 2015
Thanks for the replies, been doing a bit of research and I've got a much better idea of what wheelchair to get. Blue badge should be on the way too.

A separate question, what does an IMCA (independent mental capacity advocate?) do? The social services who have been helping me are bringing someone round on their next visit.

Thanks