Advice please

carer sue

Jul 17, 2015
Hello everyone

i was wondering if anyone has any idea on how to stop my dad from turning on the gas cooker knobs, they will need to be locked so he can't just take them off as you can with a child proof one, has anyone had this problem before or have any ideas.

sue xx

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
OT can give you details of a fitted cover which I think is quite expensive. They suggested a cheaper method was to put a piece of wood over the hob so he couldn't see the knobs. I ended up by using one of those heavy worktop protectors, putting it on top of the hob when it had cooled, and that worked for us.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Most pull off , for cleaning- do they not?

failing that, is it plugged/wired into the mains for a a spark? turn off the switch
remove battery if its a battery spark

gerrytt

Jul 9, 2015
There is a device available in Canada called "Stove Minder". Check it out! Specifically designed for people with dementia. Has a good rating but I've never personally tried it out. Nonetheless, it's worth 5 minutes of your time to find out! Good luck!!

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

MeganCat

Jan 29, 2013
South Wales
I ended up disconnecting mums cooker and left her (carers) with microwave and toaster - she kept storing cushions?? On top of it!

JayGun

Jun 24, 2013
We bought a new cooker with the safety feature that the gas will only turn on if you're also holding down the ignition button. This is probably the most expensive option but I thought I'd mention it.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Sue, welcome to TP
There are 2 options as I see it; either have a gas safe registered plumber fit an isolator switch on the gas pipe (out of sight) so the hob can still be used I by anyone who knows where it is I would guess a fair price for this would be around £100 for parts and labour. Option 2 is replace the hob with a new one with a flame failure device fitted (pretty much standard these days) so if the knob is turned the gas cuts off if the flame isn't lit. I wouldn't disconnect the electricity as this mean when turned on with no means of ignition gas will flow out and create a risk of explosion.
The cheap answer (as Jessbow's other suggestion) remove the knobs, I@ve just tried it on my hob and I can't turn the gas on without them.
In our house we call them Biscuits as in hob-nobs:D
K

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Hi Sue, welcome to TP
There are 2 options as I see it; either have a gas safe registered plumber fit an isolator switch on the gas pipe (out of sight) so the hob can still be used I by anyone who knows where it is I would guess a fair price for this would be around £100 for parts and labour.
K

The cost when we fitted the lockable valve was about £100 total including labour. Depends on the layout of the kitchen but in mum's it couldn't be fitted out of sight without making it inaccessible for anyone wanting to switch it on. Wasn't a problem though; by then mum had no ability to recognise what the valve was or how it worked, and as the key was well hidden she could not have turned it on.