What does OH mean? I see this in the threads often, I assume it is an acronym.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Fred was stationed in Jordan with the RAF for a while, Izzy. Before my time unfortunately, probably 1950s. He loved it there. Unfortunately could never persuade him to take me to Petra as he had already been there! What a lot of acronyms to learn, Scarlett. Good job you are not a bear of little brain like me

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
When I see / read things like AB because I have no idea of the meaning the thread doesn't mean anything it just so simple to write the words in full especially when some of us have dementia who read the threads

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
I can see what you say Tony, especially if abbreviations/acronyms are used in the title of the thread, sometimes it is not immediately obvious what they mean whereas in the context of the message it becomes clear enough.

I am an oldie so not familiar with all the modern acronyms but they are handy once I do get to know them.

Lol Scarlett, I was amused at your mention of PETRA - I had never heard of it being computer related and have never visited Petra (I'm thinking I have missed out on something wonderful there). However there have been times, when life has thrown something awful in my path, I have been almost "petra-fied! :eek: (sorry)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Fred was stationed in Jordan with the RAF for a while, Izzy. Before my time unfortunately, probably 1950s. He loved it there. Unfortunately could never persuade him to take me to Petra as he had already been there! What a lot of acronyms to learn, Scarlett. Good job you are not a bear of little brain like me

Sorry for hijacking thread! The school I taught in was in old RAF (I think) huts. It was at First Circle in Amman. Maybe your husband was stationed there!! The school in now in an all singing all dancing modern building.

Alan19531953

Jun 16, 2015
Surely it's creating a new language. Why?

Old moaner again here. Surely if you replace English words with acronyms you are creating a new language? Why? I know I can look up the meanings but you could do the same if we all posted in German for example. It just adds a layer of complication and makes it click'ish. There I've said it! Come on then: hit me with it

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
It's not complicated and it's not cliquish. Every website forum around the world uses abbreviations, and OH is one of the most well-known. You can learn them quite easily. Or as they say in Germany: ist doch alles nicht so dramatisch.

Last edited:

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Old moaner again here. Surely if you replace English words with acronyms you are creating a new language? Why? I know I can look up the meanings but you could do the same if we all posted in German for example. It just adds a layer of complication and makes it click'ish. There I've said it! Come on then: hit me with it

I don't know what click'ish means;):confused::D:p

CynthsDaugh

May 5, 2015
Salford, Lancashire
I don't think use of acronyms is cliqueish - we have been using some for years eg. DVLA, HMRC etc. Some are specific to subjects such as dementia related ones here, but are only a shorthand and not meant to exclude people but make it quicker and easier to communicate on the forum.

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
The more I think about it the more obvious it is that we have always used abbreviations/acronyms. I still remember the first time I saw BOGOF - I was shocked until I realised it meant buy one get one free.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
OMG, mum has Az, FIL had VasD and, AFAIK, OH probably has FTD, so IMO I need this site or Id be FUBAR by now. My response? DILLIGAF
ROFL

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
One of my CAB colleagues said she thought it was called PETRA, because everything entered in it was written in stone. I said "aaah, I see", but I'm sure it must be an acronym. AFAIK ;)