Early Girlie

Jul 5, 2015
St Albans
Morning all
My husband was diagnosed with AD a few short days ago, at the tender age of 47. We think it's been coming on for about 5 years, but the consultants have spent a lot of time focusing on depression. This is because he lost job after job to redundancy and performance issues. It has been soul-destroying watching him go through it. Now that we finally have the diagnosis and he has accepted that he can't do the same job (we are not ruling out some form of work later), he is happier than I've seen him in years. Stress levels are down, his sense of humour and wit have returned, and I have, for now, got back the man I fell in love with.

He's had a wonderful fortnight watching the tennis and going to the gym. At the moment, his main symptoms are just memory loss, and humour sees us through this, together with a daily notebook system.

We may have difficult times ahead, but for now, we're going to write a Bucket List (but we need a better name), and just live our socks off every day!
This forum is amazing, by the way!

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
You are right 'bucket list' just seems inappropriate. I suppose it comes from 'kicking it'. Any suggestions out there?

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Happy Happenings? Wonderful Wishes? Exciting Events? Not sure why I am being alliterative! Maybe just your Happy list but I do agree, bucket list is a depressing name for it.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Welcome to TP. I am glad you found us but sad there is a need for it.
I am sure you will get much support here so please keep posting and update us regularly :).

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
How about an 'Over the Rainbow' list?

This sounds so much better. A rainbow list, yes I like that especially as rainbows appear after rain on a sunny warm day and suddenly your mood/spirit just soars.

Trixxie

Oct 3, 2014
Midsomer Norton near Bath
Early Girlie your amazing, you sound very positive and may you keep that happy attitude, my hubby was diagnosed last year and he was only 54, it was a shock for him but not really for me as I saw it coming. We've stayed very positive and we do have a great support network of family & friends. Get all the help you can, it took me a while but we got a support worker from the Alzheimer's Society who we can ring anytime with any problem, I do feel the 'younger people' with AD don't get much publicity so we contacted out local paper & they did a story about us & Early Onset Alzheimer's, we wanted to get across to people that we feel we need to be seen & heard! People our age still have mortgages, bills & small pensions as we're still young!
Take care & keep posting, I found this TP a god send to me! And the society's web site!! It kept me sane I can tell you. xx

Hubby recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's

Early Girlie

Jul 5, 2015
St Albans
Thank you for all the lovely suggestions! We are keeping it simple and have plumped for the Happy List. Not much on it yet because we are too busy doing things to have time to write them down. He loves windsurfing so we are off to the seaside for the weekend. It's been 3 weeks since our last holiday so I feel we've earnt it!
2 weeks on the new medication and no sign of the gruesome side effects. All is well.

Early Girlie

Jul 5, 2015
St Albans
Thank you Trixxie, what a nice post. I'm so impressed that you publicised your story and I hope it has caused someone somewhere to be more aware, or thoughtful, or interested. Every little helps. I am still exploring support resources. More occupied with notifying DVLA, setting up LPA, etc, at the moment. And booking holidays! The people on TP are simply awesome. Who would have thought that something so terribly sad for us all could create such inspiration at the same time.

Looking forward to sharing more thoughts and experiences.
EG

karen.b

Jul 10, 2015
hold on to every good moment

Morning all
My husband was diagnosed with AD a few short days ago, at the tender age of 47. We think it's been coming on for about 5 years, but the consultants have spent a lot of time focusing on depression. This is because he lost job after job to redundancy and performance issues. It has been soul-destroying watching him go through it. Now that we finally have the diagnosis and he has accepted that he can't do the same job (we are not ruling out some form of work later), he is happier than I've seen him in years. Stress levels are down, his sense of humour and wit have returned, and I have, for now, got back the man I fell in love with.

He's had a wonderful fortnight watching the tennis and going to the gym. At the moment, his main symptoms are just memory loss, and humour sees us through this, together with a daily notebook system.

We may have difficult times ahead, but for now, we're going to write a Bucket List (but we need a better name), and just live our socks off every day!
This forum is amazing, by the way!

My husband started at the age of 54 years , we went abroad a few times together went to the theater and went a lot of country walks . try and do as much as you can a enjoy. unfortunately we are now unable to do any of that
I also recommend giving him coconut oil ,I felt it really helped him when his illness just started.You should read up about it.the book i read was called "Alzheimer's Disease What if there was a cure?" By Mary T. Newport, M.D.