Pseudodementia

Macci

May 30, 2015
Hi,
I have just registered with this site. I would like to share my experience of my husband, who has just turned 60yrs old & was diagnosed with PD (Pseudodementia) 2 yrs ago now.

We have been together for over 25yrs & he has suffered with Mental Health problems for most of his life. He has had several nervous breakdowns since we have been together, however, 2 yrs ago was the worst I ever recall....& he was put into hospital, where he spent 8 mths.

At first they thought he had Bipolar. ..then they were pretty certain it was Dementia.
It was my worst fear confirmed...I suspected that it may have been this. He was so very depressed...wouldn't eat, talk to anyone, confused, angry, Frustrated. ..but most definately psychotic. He didn't hear voices, but he believed he was the "Devil" & no-one, not even me could convince him otherwise! He couldn't watch TV or listen to the radio, because he believed that the radio was sending msg's to him & that certain things on the TV were referring to him....it was terrifying!!

My husband, who I love, turned from a very bubbly, laughing, full of jokes, caring man....into a depressed, lonely man who I couldn't recognise! But I still loved him & was determined to do, whatever it took & no matter how long it would take to get the correct diagnosis & treatment for his Mental Health Problem.

We were very lucky to have such a great Doctor, Psycatrist & Care Team looking after him. To cut a very long story short....after many tests & head scans etc....we were finally told that they were pretty sure he had Pseudodementia. I had never heard of this. It was explained to me fully, that it WAS NOT Dementia & could be treated with the correct medication...I was so relieved to hear this & cried many tears, which I had held back, because I was being strong for him.

They stripped him off all the medication he was on & started him on a complete new course of medication for PD. They told us, that we should see a noticeable difference within approx 8wks. Within 6wks, he was a changed man....laughing & joking...I was finally getting my husband back....words cannot explain how I felt...even the staff, doctors etc. we're amazed at his progress. He was finally introduced, slowly, over a course of a few weeks, back into our home...then finally discharged from hospital with a Home Care Plan.

We were told that his short - term memory would be bad....and it still is. However, his long - term memory is fine. He will have to be on his medication for life...but if that means controlling his illness...we are happy with that. Itvwas just a matter of trial & error to get the correct dosage for him.

Like I said earlier, it is now 2 yrs since he has been discharged, after a terrible 8th ordeal for both of us...but he is home & doing so well. He dies get very embarrassed when he starts a coversations, then unable to remember what it was he was trying to say...but we deal with it..laugh it off even..it is our way of dealing with it. However, he does get tired very quickly & sleeps alot...but it doesn't stop us doing things, going places & having fun.. We are both just glad he is home again & thankful that he hot the correct diagnosis for him!

Having shared my story & experience with you. I would still love to hear from anyone who has been through anything similar. Even though I am a very strong person...I am only human....and sometimes I do get a bit "ratty" or "snappy" when I constantly have to repeat things over & over to him! I would really appreciate any help or advice on this.

So sorry that this is such a long "blog"....it wasn't meant to be!

Many Thanks for reading & hope to hear back from some of you soon. Take Care.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Well you wanted to hear back-but don't read on if you don't want to get upset.

You could have been writing about my Husband. Nearly 9 years ago Pete had a psychotic breakdown-I had been invaded by aliens who were intent on ruling the world in an evil way. A month in hospital and the diagnosis was severe depression; one problem- what did he have to be depressed about? He loved his job, (English Lecturer) we had only been married for 4 years (but had been together for 10 before we made it official), amazing social life, amazing holidays (I was working full time and earned a very large salary) great friends, EVERY THING anyone could ask for.

Things were never the same again. He continued to be depressed and was constantly telling his psychiatrist that he was losing his memory-he was repeatedly told he did not have dementia. So many drugs were tried I've forgotten the name of them all now.Fast forward 4 years he was given a brain scan-he was told that he wasn't dementing; however, I now know that was a wrong diagnosis-the scan clearly showed he had Alzheimer's. If only the neurologist had taken his feet off his desk when looking at the scan and seen what was in front of him things might have been different-who knows.

Then, of course, a crisis happened. Pete was sectioned again after days/night of not sleeping, wandering, incontinence, not being able to do the most basic of tasks.This followed many years of Pete showing all the signs of some kind of Dementia-which I queried-I was ignored. Long story cut short Pete was diagnosed with Bi-polar and AD after another scan was taken. The scan showed he was already at the moderate/low severe stage. He had hallucinations/delusions and further psychosis.

Why am I telling you all this? Perhaps get a second opinion and never, ever take your eye off the ball.

Take care

Lyn T

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
what does "sectioned" mean

Good early morning to you Harper and welcome to TP.

Being sectioned is when a person is taken to a Mental Health unit for various reasons. It could be be if they are suicidal, experiencing hallucinations or delusions, or various other reasons. My friends daughter was sectioned because she was anorexic and bi-polar. Help other than what is available in the community is urgently needed.

I've inserted a link for which explains a bit more

http://www.rethink.org/carers-family-friends/brothers-and-sisters-siblings-network/get-info-and-advice/sibling-faqs/what-does-being-sectioned-mean

Take care

Lyn T

Last edited:

Macci

May 30, 2015
medication

Can I ask what medication he is on please.

Hi,

Here is a list of the medication my husband is currently on & has been, since his discharge 2 yrs ago. As I am sure you can appreciate, not all medication which suits one person, necessarily suits another. It was a long process to get the correct diagnosis for his illness & also to get the correct dosage, which was suitable for him.

Venlafaxine MR 225mg tabs (one daily)
Haloperdol 10mg tabs (twice daily/ noon & 10pm)
Lorazepam 1mg tabs (twice daily ONLY, IF REQUIRED)

We are aware that his short - term memory is bad, which is frustrating, especially for him. But over the last 2yrs we have put strategies into place, to help him cope with this. He also sleeps alot....but we have come to terms with this....he sets a time which suits both of us, to get up in the morning & most of the time keeps to this. He is quite active during the day....I guess having two little dog's help him with that....he loves taking them for long walks. :) He sometimes has a nap in the afternoon as well & normally, the latest he is in bed, is 10pm.

This works for us, like I said though....it may not suit another patient. Due to his Mental Health problems in the past & because we have been together for so many years.... I am never complacent... I know what signs to look for, if something is wrong or not quite right.

I hope this has been of some help to you, take care x M

pseudo dementia

Jul 11, 2015
My husband has had PD for 6 yrs! No improvement! Help

What is AD?:confused:

Well you wanted to hear back-but don't read on if you don't want to get upset.

You could have been writing about my Husband. Nearly 9 years ago Pete had a psychotic breakdown-I had been invaded by aliens who were intent on ruling the world in an evil way. A month in hospital and the diagnosis was severe depression; one problem- what did he have to be depressed about? He loved his job, (English Lecturer) we had only been married for 4 years (but had been together for 10 before we made it official), amazing social life, amazing holidays (I was working full time and earned a very large salary) great friends, EVERY THING anyone could ask for.

Things were never the same again. He continued to be depressed and was constantly telling his psychiatrist that he was losing his memory-he was repeatedly told he did not have dementia. So many drugs were tried I've forgotten the name of them all now.Fast forward 4 years he was given a brain scan-he was told that he wasn't dementing; however, I now know that was a wrong diagnosis-the scan clearly showed he had Alzheimer's. If only the neurologist had taken his feet off his desk when looking at the scan and seen what was in front of him things might have been different-who knows.

Then, of course, a crisis happened. Pete was sectioned again after days/night of not sleeping, wandering, incontinence, not being able to do the most basic of tasks.This followed many years of Pete showing all the signs of some kind of Dementia-which I queried-I was ignored. Long story cut short Pete was diagnosed with Bi-polar and AD after another scan was taken. The scan showed he was already at the moderate/low severe stage. He had hallucinations/delusions and further psychosis.

Why am I telling you all this? Perhaps get a second opinion and never, ever take your eye off the ball.

Take care

Lyn T

EdenDesjardins

May 25, 2015
As Lyn mentioned, a second diagnosis is always important.. though Alzheimer's isn't possible to stop presently, it does help your family to prepare for the worst to come.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman