What does OH mean? I see this in the threads often, I assume it is an acronym.

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
OH mean ..other half , partner , husband and so on

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
It stands for other half :) There is a list of all the abbreviations commonly used, I hope someone cleverer than me will find it for you.

Lin x

Alan19531953

Jun 16, 2015
Why not just say Other Half? Seems a bit click 'ish to me.

Why not just say Other Half? Seems a bit click 'ish to me.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
On TP ( Talkingpoint) we all use a User Name. Now mine is Cragmaid, so you could rightly assume that I am female.... I have an OH ( Other Half). In fact he is my husband, but he could just as easily be my partner, or lover. I could be divorced but still caring for my Ex OH. I could be Gay or living in sin. My OH is also my LO (Loved one) although he is not living with AZ ( easy one that...Alzheimer's Disease) V or Vas D or Dem ( vascular dementia) LB or LWB (Lewy Bodies) FTL or FTLD ( Fronto Temporalobe Dementia) Picks, Kowalski Parkisonian Dementia.... The list of names goes on and on. My LO was my Mum who died with mixed Az/VasD in a CH (RCH Residential Care Home private not LA Local Authority or a NH Nursing home or EMI Elderly Mentally Infirm)

I knew nothing of these terms when I came to join the forum.....but believe me I learned quickly. It takes a lot less time to type AZ/VasD than it's full title and since time is often at a premium, shorthand or acronyms become the norm.

I see that you have been given the list of abbrieviations...most of them are common sense and soon become common usage.

Good Luck....Cragmaid. AKA Maureen. :)

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
On TP ( Talkingpoint) we all use a User Name. Now mine is Cragmaid, so you could rightly assume that I am female.... I have an OH ( Other Half). In fact he is my husband, but he could just as easily be my partner, or lover. I could be divorced but still caring for my Ex OH. I could be Gay or living in sin. Good Luck....Cragmaid. AKA Maureen. :)

Oh that did make me giggle. ;) I remember when my Mum would use that expression, with raised eyebrows, and pursed lips. :D Now that I'm a volunteer at the Citizen's Advice Bureau (CAB), I've had to learn all the acronyms for the various benefits. HB, CTB, ESA, DLA, AA, PIP, WTC, CTC .... to name but a few.

When I was asked if I knew about PETRA, I assumed they meant a place in Jordan, and imparted my scant knowledge of the rose coloured stone, and wondered why my statement was met with puzzled expressions - and why it was necessary.

I later found out it was the name of a nationwide benefits computer system!

Essie

Feb 11, 2015
Showing my age, and lack of intellect, my first thought for Petra was the dog on Blue Peter!

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
When I was asked if I knew about PETRA, I assumed they meant a place in Jordan, and imparted my scant knowledge of the rose coloured stone, and wondered why my statement was met with puzzled expressions - and why it was necessary.

I later found out it was the name of a nationwide benefits computer system!

I thought it was the dog off Blue Peter:)
K

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
The rose red city half as old as time! I've been there 3 times. Awesome in the true sense of the word!

Essie

Feb 11, 2015
Three times?? Izzy I am jealous!!! One of those places that has always been on my 'one day....' list.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Three times?? Izzy I am jealous!!! One of those places that has always been on my 'one day....' list.

I taught in Jordan in 1975-1976. I visited at least twice then. Bill and I had a holiday in Jordan and Syria some years ago and we visited it together then.

Essie

Feb 11, 2015
I taught in Jordan in 1975-1976. I visited at least twice then. Bill and I had a holiday in Jordan and Syria some years ago and we visited it together then.

Wow Izzy! That must have been quite an experience in so many ways.