talking to dementia sufferers

glenno

Jul 9, 2015
Cookstown, N Ireland
Can anyone give advice on how to interact with someone with dementia better. I'm having difficulty and usually get a nod or no response. How can I communicate better?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello glenno

Welcome to Talking Point.

If there was a simple answer to your question we`d all be much happier and life would be so much easier.

It really will be a case of trial and error but I can make a couple of suggestions which you might try, things which worked for me.

1. Speak in very short sentences with just a single subject.

2. Ask questions which can be answered by yes or no or a nod or shake of the head.

3. Make sure your facial expression is pleasant, not worried or anxious or impatient.

4. Try not to offer choices.

5. Use visual clues.

6. Be tactile, hold or stroke hands, so much depends on the relationship you have.

Others might have more ideas. Ways which worked best for them.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Can anyone give advice on how to interact with someone with dementia better. I'm having difficulty and usually get a nod or no response. How can I communicate better?

Hi Glenno, welcome to TP
Can I ask is this in a professional capacity where you need information from them or input (like a dentist, lawyer or optician for example) or is this communication on a personal level with a relative or friend?
K

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah R