Respite care.

avian999

Oct 24, 2011
Cardigan Wales
I have been asked by the doctor if I would like to put my husband into respite care for a few days so I can get a break.
Just wondered if anyone has done this and what was it like when the person comes back home..
Any help would be appreciated..Thanks.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Oh yes, very important you do it! Make you feel better and more able to cope.
When he came back he had lost some of the nastiness that made me decide to put him in! Can't, off hand, think of any bad things that needed compete re-training!

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
I have been asked by the doctor if I would like to put my husband into respite care for a few days so I can get a break.
Just wondered if anyone has done this and what was it like when the person comes back home..
Any help would be appreciated..Thanks.

I have looked in to respite for MIL been told minimum 2 weeks at £1000 a week

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Wow, that's a lot for Wales. I thought prices were cheaper over there?
Prices here range from £600 to over £1000, and I know many homes have a minimum of 2 weeks, though not all. It helps the carees settle, apparently.
Food for thought, but remember it's not you who should be paying and if your husband is under the financial limit, the LA should pay. I did it for my OH and the break certainly helped.

avian999

Oct 24, 2011
Cardigan Wales
Thanks.

Oh yes, very important you do it! Make you feel better and more able to cope.
When he came back he had lost some of the nastiness that made me decide to put him in! Can't, off hand, think of any bad things that needed compete re-training!

Thanks for that....I really think it would be a good idea its just how to get him to go in...

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
I'm sure you will make a decision that is best for you and your husband, avian, but I do have to comment that given all the people I've seen on here who are desperate for respite care, or who have asked, but not been able to get it, that if you are being offered respite, just say yes! One of the things I've learnt about dementia is that when anyone offers help, I should just accept it, even if I think I don't need help.

I would also take as long a respite period as is possible.

As to how to convince your husband to go, I've seen several strategies mentioned here. One is to have the doctor inform your husband that he (your husband) must go to respite (always let someone else deliver the message/be the bad guy/take the fall when possible--it keeps the onus off you), either for his benefit, yours, or both. Another is for you to tell your husband the doctor has ordered it. Another is to just state that you must have a break and so he is going--no discussion. Perhaps others here have additional suggestions?

I hope this works out for you.