Support for people to stay in their own home

TBMA

Jul 1, 2015
My mother is in her late 80s and has lived alone since my dad died with dementia nearly 20 years ago. She generally looks after herself ok but has gradually developed memory problems, and not been able to find things, and has recently been imagining intruders in the house and getting very worked up about that as you might imagine. The GP referred her for an assessment, which I'm trying to fix up ASAP. She is (of course) resistant to the idea of moving to a care home and in her ideal world would live in a small flat with people close at hand. I know that the process of moving causes faster deterioration and so am hoping that some form/s of support will enable her to stay at home a while longer until she is no longer safe, but I don't really know how that could work, and my siblings think a home is the only option. Any people who have had similar experiences?

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
Welcome TBMA, I know there will be loads of help for you here, but my case with Mater was, that she is adamant she wants to go in a home ( that was until one was arranged then it was I'M NOT GOING) so we arranged home care and now all she does is sit and watch out window, and watch TV. We have got Care UK to take her out in a car a couple of days because that is what she likes.

Everyone in the world has a car but her and everyone goes shopping but her.

There will be no easy journey but you will find help and friends her. <<huggs>>

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
My mother is in her late 80s and has lived alone since my dad died with dementia nearly 20 years ago. She generally looks after herself ok but has gradually developed memory problems, and not been able to find things, and has recently been imagining intruders in the house and getting very worked up about that as you might imagine. The GP referred her for an assessment, which I'm trying to fix up ASAP. She is (of course) resistant to the idea of moving to a care home and in her ideal world would live in a small flat with people close at hand. I know that the process of moving causes faster deterioration and so am hoping that some form/s of support will enable her to stay at home a while longer until she is no longer safe, but I don't really know how that could work, and my siblings think a home is the only option. Any people who have had similar experiences?

we moved MIL I with us over 21/2 yrs ago when she came for xmas and did not want to go home. She was not safe and within a few weeks we realised she would not be movig into a bungalow closer to us but stay with us. As she still does athough a lot further down the vascular dementia line not nowing how to wash hands after toilet , having food cut up no long or short term memory no .
I don't think she wuld of been safe with careres coming in either