Hospital discharge . Help !

rafferty

Dec 27, 2011
cardiff
I desperately need some advice I posted a while ago . My mum fell and fractured her hip and has spent 7 weeks in hospital , she was discharged yesterday with 4 care visits a day . We were hoping we could manage her at home. But she is refusing any care from anyone . She hasn't been left at all since she's out of hospital but she is extremely agitated and confused and refuses to get out of bed ,eat ,drink or take any meds. Does anyone think this is a temporary reaction to her discharge or is it a progression in her Alzheimer's . I have contacted the GP who's coming out this afternoon . Any advice would be very gratefully received .

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
I'm so sorry, rafferty. Your poor mum :(

For what it's worth, I do think this could be a reaction to the shock of the fracture and hospitalisation, and now returning home. It must all be so confusing for her. And of course there's always the possibility of a UTI ....

See what the GP says, but I wouldn't despair yet, it's very early days for both your mum and the care package to settle down :)

All the best, it's hard, I know :)

Lindy xx

chrisdee

Nov 23, 2014
Yorkshire
I feel for you as I know that hospital discharges can mean big changes for those with AD and of course their carers. Hope that the doctor was helpful and that perhaps a change of meds might help. Its horrible living with agitation through, you wonder if it will ever end. Don't be afraid to get the Doctor in again if needed and make sure they have 'chapter and verse'. He/she might also call in mental health team if she does not settle well. I really hope she does, all the best.

Blondebomber

Feb 28, 2015
I feel for you as I know that hospital discharges can mean big changes for those with AD and of course their carers. Hope that the doctor was helpful and that perhaps a change of meds might help. Its horrible living with agitation through, you wonder if it will ever end. Don't be afraid to get the Doctor in again if needed and make sure they have 'chapter and verse'. He/she might also call in mental health team if she does not settle well. I really hope she does, all the best.

My Father was very affected by changes to his life and routine. He appeared to deteriorate rapidly when he was admitted to hospital, his mobility was poor and he was constantly agitated. It was a real trial when we brought him home. He was agitated 24 hours a day. He didn't know us or his home. It took days to settle him down. Do you have a Community Matron? Also advice over the phone from an Admiral Nurse was helpful....ask you GP for help....so difficult for you

Fred Flintstone

Aug 28, 2014
S. E. England
After four weeks in hospital with septicaemia my father spent a lot of time sleeping. He was still confused in many ways - he'd had delirium in hospital - but gradually settled down in the next three or four weeks.

He'd shown very little sign of dementia before, and it was only after about eight months that it became obvious.

It's pretty disorientating being in hospital for anyone, particularly an elderly vague person. She might improve with time.

rafferty

Dec 27, 2011
cardiff
Thanks everyone it's been a very difficult day and evening . She did eventually get up but just seemed totally exhausted couldn't keep her eyes open long enough to eat . GP came out a urine test was done she doesn't have an infection , he seems to think she is overwhelmed by the change from hospital to home and that it will take a while for her to settle. When she did wake up this evening she was extremely agitated and confused she certainly doesn't recognise her home of 52 years. Let's hope tomorrow is a better day .

rafferty

Dec 27, 2011
cardiff
Just an update . Mum was re admitted to hospital last night we just couldn't cope she was unable to allow us to care for her . Refusing to eat , drink , take meds , go to bed and when we eventually did get her to bed she wouldn't sleep . They've done a ct scan . So after caring for her since her diagnosis in 2011 and in the last year she has needed someone with her 24 hrs a day I've come to the very difficult decision that she will be unable to return to her home . I am absolutely heartbroken .

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Rafferty, I am so sorry about your mum but you have done your very best and she needs more help now, I hope she settles into her new home soon, when she is released from hospital,

Best wishes Jeany xx

chrisdee

Nov 23, 2014
Yorkshire
Rafferty, it was a difficult decision, but THE RIGHT decision, keep telling yourself that.
No family member can 'do it all' when 24 care is called for. Most Doctors also know that a progressive disease like AD will need residential care at some point. Be kind to yourself, we all feel like the pits at this stage, believe me.

nannylondon

Apr 7, 2014
London
Just an update . Mum was re admitted to hospital last night we just couldn't cope she was unable to allow us to care for her . Refusing to eat , drink , take meds , go to bed and when we eventually did get her to bed she wouldn't sleep . They've done a ct scan . So after caring for her since her diagnosis in 2011 and in the last year she has needed someone with her 24 hrs a day I've come to the very difficult decision that she will be unable to return to her home . I am absolutely heartbroken .

Rafferty so sorry about your mum I had to make the same decision about my husband recently it's not easy but you can't do it 24/7 no one can we are only human I know you feel heartbroken but she is safe and will be looked after try not to beat yourself up sending you hugs xxx Nannylondon

rafferty

Dec 27, 2011
cardiff
Thank you everyone . Nannylondon its hard for me but it must be so much harder for you and i appreciate you taking the time to reply to me ,xx

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Just caught up, rafferty :)

I'm so sorry things went as they did, but please do take comfort from the fact that you did all you could. No-one could do more. You have now made a decision which is in your mother's best interests, not yours, and that's the hardest and most unselfish thing you could do.

You made the right decision, rafferty. I hope that will become clearer in time :)

Sending you big ((((hugs))))

Lindy xx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman