Inheritance

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
Hi all

I care for my husband who has Alzheimer's, he is now 62.

My mother died last year and I have some inheritance coming my way. Due to this my husband who cannot work won't now be able to claim pension credit. I am 54 so I won't receive my pension until I'm 67 ish I believe.

I didn't want to rush into using my mother's money and I wanted to try and make it last at least until I am retired or some for ever and possibly leaving it to my family. Its not a massive amount and I wanted to be very choosy and careful how it would be used. Now I have to pay bills, food etc for my husband. Please don't get me wrong I don't begrudge helping my husband at all but the system doesn't feel quite fair to me, or am I wrong?

If my husband lived by himself he would receive it. My mother would have wanted me to have it mainly for my financial protection. This matter has been very worrying and stressful.

Reds

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
It's just the way it is. When calculating benefits, a partner's savings are taken into account. However, once your husband needs respite or a care home, only his own finances will be taken into account, so keep your own money well away from his and don't put it in a joint account as half of it will automatically considered to be his in an assessment.

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
It's just the way it is. When calculating benefits, a partner's savings are taken into account. However, once your husband needs respite or a care home, only his own finances will be taken into account, so keep your own money well away from his and don't put it in a joint account as half of it will automatically considered to be his in an assessment.

Thanks always Beate