are hallucinations part of dementia ?

az1

Jun 21, 2015
Hi,
My dad (92) is in hospital with primarily a swallowing problem which has caused massive weight loss. He has had two main hallucinations that he has spoken about quite openly for a while now. A choir singing 'only a bird in a guilded cage (very old song!), in the road outside in the middle of the night, and another of people dancing above the train station behind the house.
However on yesterdays visit to the hospital he was very animated about someone having driven a 6 seater settee into the ward and people popping out, waiters and tables, and on and on it went. He was insistent to almost the point of hysteria that it actually happened. We tried to reason with him, but for an hour and a half he just kept recounting the episode and elaborating upon it.
My father has always been a highly intelligent logical man, and to see him like this was frightening.
The hospital do memory tests etc on him, but just say that he is ok, very lucid. I feel this is because he sounds very convincing,and is more eloquent than the other patients.
I feel this is the start of some kind of dementia, and as he is soon to be discharged to his home where he lives alone (I live abroad, as does my sister), I am obviously very worried.
The doctor did not think it was due to any medication change. Looking back over the months I think this delusion/dementia whatever has been happening more than we realised, and do not know where to turn for advice.
Any help anyone?

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Both of these scenarios sound like something he might have seen on TV and elaborated on. It may be that he is beginning to mix up what he sees as real or imagined. I hope when he goes home he will have regular visits from care workers or social workers to check on his well being.

Worrying for you.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Hallucinations can be part of dementia, but they aren't always. You need more tests. Plus you need to insist they don't release him back home without an adequate care package in place. Dementia or not, he's 92 and lives alone.
Also, for future reference, please don't contradict his hallucinations. There is nothing gained by it and will only distress him further.

summer15

Aug 5, 2015
my mum too is Hallucinating

Hallucinations can be part of dementia, but they aren't always. You need more tests. Plus you need to insist they don't release him back home without an adequate care package in place. Dementia or not, he's 92 and lives alone.
Also, for future reference, please don't contradict his hallucinations. There is nothing gained by it and will only distress him further.

Hi, my mum too has been talking to me about "people" she is seeing in her summer house and living in the bottom of the garden. My mum is 72, a full time carer for my dad ( who has brain damamge parkinsons and demetia) her memory is terrible and she has really bad mood swings. The hallucinations are recent and very real for her. I have finnally got some help and she is having some tests today - very scared as i think i already know the diagnosis. :(

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
Hi,
My dad (92) is in hospital with primarily a swallowing problem which has caused massive weight loss. He has had two main hallucinations that he has spoken about quite openly for a while now. A choir singing 'only a bird in a guilded cage (very old song!), in the road outside in the middle of the night, and another of people dancing above the train station behind the house.
However on yesterdays visit to the hospital he was very animated about someone having driven a 6 seater settee into the ward and people popping out, waiters and tables, and on and on it went. He was insistent to almost the point of hysteria that it actually happened. We tried to reason with him, but for an hour and a half he just kept recounting the episode and elaborating upon it.
My father has always been a highly intelligent logical man, and to see him like this was frightening.
The hospital do memory tests etc on him, but just say that he is ok, very lucid. I feel this is because he sounds very convincing,and is more eloquent than the other patients.
I feel this is the start of some kind of dementia, and as he is soon to be discharged to his home where he lives alone (I live abroad, as does my sister), I am obviously very worried.
The doctor did not think it was due to any medication change. Looking back over the months I think this delusion/dementia whatever has been happening more than we realised, and do not know where to turn for advice.
Any help anyone?

Hi!

Yes both hallucinations and delusions can be a symptom of dementia. Absolutely.

There's a difference between the both..hallucinations being things that you know really can't be there or happen..delusion are when you see something as different or something else happening but it's more realistic.
My dad who has dlb and I've cared for him for years..saw police car someone running and he saw a riot and the police struggling to catch someone etc. It's the plastic bag sebario in the road that could be a person.

Certain meds could have an affect..every person is different...but when my dad was in hospital and been on a ventilator afterwards due to low oxygen had major hallucinations. Elves in the store cupboard..nurses walking out to party. Guns on the ward.
We knew what this was but the ward had no idea how to deal with it.

Now he has delusions on a regular basis..and odd hallucinations...
All the fact sheets on the all society facts her section explain clearly..

Best wishes