Broken teeth

Bree

Oct 16, 2013
MOH has broken a few of his bottom teeth with constant grinding, more seem to be breaking by the day. His dentist wants to do root canal treatment, even though he is 80 this year. Since seeing the dentist Monday last, we have two more broken teeth.

He has had two guards made, both of which he has accidentally thrown away, at £80 a go from the dentist, it just can't be done, however the dentist wants to make another one ! We are spending so much money at the dentist, it's unreal.

He has blackened teeth, we think from using tea and coffee as a mouth wash, and several are missing, the plate he had made no longer fits, so more expense. We have asked about removal of all his teeth, as there doesn't seem to be a satisfactory solution to the problem, but the dentist doesn't want to do that.

What would you do ?

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
MOH has broken a few of his bottom teeth with constant grinding, more seem to be breaking by the day. His dentist wants to do root canal treatment, even though he is 80 this year. Since seeing the dentist Monday last, we have two more broken teeth.

He has had two guards made, both of which he has accidentally thrown away, at £80 a go from the dentist, it just can't be done, however the dentist wants to make another one ! We are spending so much money at the dentist, it's unreal.

He has blackened teeth, we think from using tea and coffee as a mouth wash, and several are missing, the plate he had made no longer fits, so more expense. We have asked about removal of all his teeth, as there doesn't seem to be a satisfactory solution to the problem, but the dentist doesn't want to do that.

What would you do ?

My hubby had a full set of dentures made when he asked. Mind you, I'm going back about ten years, but hey, this is a health need.

Insist on dentures. He doesn't have to wear them all the time, but at least he'd be rid of the horrible teeth, and probable ongoing pain. He must be in agony, surely?

Essie

Feb 11, 2015
I would pursue dentures too Bree - are there other dentists in the same practice that may have a different view or could you sign OH up to a different practice that would be more accomodating? Could your local AS or AgeUK branch recommend a more understanding dentist maybe? Obviously their remit is to preserve teeth not remove them but a more person centred approach is far better than a 'one size fits all' response.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mother grinds her teeth a great deal and I have always worried about her breaking teeth. I agree with the idea of going for dentures, or at least removing the broken teeth. Toothache doesn't bear thinking about.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Root canal treatment can be quite expensive, and wouldn't stop the grinding anyway. Has the dentist suggested crowns on top of this treatment? Do you really think these teeth are worth saving? I would get a second opinion.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
I can understand where the dentist is coming from, after all, their job is to maintain the integrity of a persons teeth.
Real teeth are not replicated by dentures and there is always an issue with choking and accidental swallowing, I know this through personal experience.

I would ask the dentist to retain all teeth she/he is able but I would stress the need for treatments and interventions to be held to the absolute minimum i.e. I would ask for all 'unsound' teeth to be removed, of course this can compromise eating so it all depends on which teeth and how many?

It's a dreadful worry isn't it? Oral health is so vital, bacteria from the mouth have a crescendo effect throughout the body.

I wouldn't allow unrealistic treatments, root canal treatment at 80 and mouth guards in a person with dementia seem to me to be unrealistic treatments.

If you and your husband like the dentist, I would speak honestly to her/him, explain the reality of dementia, your husbands needs and ask them to help you to navigate him through this troublesome time in a way that causes him as little grief as possible and with minimum cost.

Very best wishes, this is a problem that has and continues to cause me lost sleep...son, mother and now my sweet old Pa-in-Law.

Hope you manage to find a suitable solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
If you have dementia, you have the right to be referred to a community dentist that deals with special needs. These are for people who for example have a strong fear of dentists or have an illness that means they need special attention. Ask to be referred, you can also get home visits then to make it all less stressful. I'm certain such a dentist will have more experience with your situation and can suggest a solution. We have only got the best experience with ours. I suppose that if you needed more invasive treatment they would have to send you to a dental hospital but I think it's still the better solution.

Last edited:

Bree

Oct 16, 2013
Thank you all for your replies. I think that maybe dentures is the way to go. I will ask for a referral, and hope that MOH can have a satisfactory outcome, you have confirmed my thoughts. Thanks again.

I will post again when we have a solution.

Jackie

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
My dentist (was NHS now private) was very good with my mum and said with dementia that as little as possible to minimise pain was the way to go. Whilst she is living alone she wouldn't manage to learn something new so the previously suggested bridge was of no benefit. She also suggested only seeing mum is she had an issue as most preventative treatment was not beneficial at this stage in her opinion.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Thank you all for your replies. I think that maybe dentures is the way to go. I will ask for a referral, and hope that MOH can have a satisfactory outcome, you have confirmed my thoughts. Thanks again.

I will post again when we have a solution.

Jackie

Hope that goes well for you Bree :)

Bree

Oct 16, 2013
OH's dentist rang today saying he needs to be seen again before a referral even though he was seen last Monday, and they know very well the state of his teeth.

I'm wondering how much that will cost us. How do you find a 'special needs dentist' please ?