Hooked on buying goods from brightlife

eve67

Jan 23, 2015
My hubby is hooked on buying goods from this company. You have to buy about £20 worth to be entered for their prize draw. He's been doing this for about a year now and even orders the same goods as he forgets what he's ordered in the past. If I remind him he takes no notice. Many of the goods are of poor quality but he isn't bothered as he just wants to win a few thousand pounds. We have had many arguments over these when I've tried to tell him that he'll never win any huge amounts. He has won the occasional chq for £2.60 or thereabouts and this keeps him interested. Have phoned the companies concerned and explained the situation but 2 weeks later he's still receiving catalogues. Can anybody help me to stop him wasting his cash and the goods filling up our garage. It is so sad to see him falling for this type of scam.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Could you not pull the mags out of the mail pile before he sees them? I'm not sure about this, but from what I've seen, they tend to send their order books to the older generation. I could be wrong.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Do you have POA for him? If so, you should be able to stop this by controlling his outgoings. If he still has capacity he is technically allowed to make unwise decisions - a lot of us waste money on lotto every week without much return. That said, I would try to stop this as well, as it's preying on the elderly and vulnerable. Have they got Facebook or Twitter accounts? Shame them publicly for exploitation. Or send a complaint to the CEO. If he hasn't got capacity, any financial contract is basically unenforceable anymore.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Send an email to contactus@brightlife.co , say that the recipient is a vulnerable elderly adult and that if catalogues continue to be received after 30 days you will contact your MP for advice.

If the catalogues continue to arrive after 30 days contact your MP.

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
I could not get these stopped even when my mother passed away .hopping the new owners of her house are not having same problem .they are scum companies .

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
I'm still getting post from charities, let alone scamming sellers for my mum despite contacting all relevant web sites, returning post so they have to pay postage etc. 3 years it's still going on

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

alwaysfretting

Jan 1, 2015
I have this problem with my mum who has Alzheimer's who orders from a company with a prize draw things she doesn't want or need and often duplicates. Things have improved a little as I've diverted her onto a new interest. These companies are despicable.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello eve67 have you phoned brightlife and told them your hubby has Alzheimers, and that you do not want anymore catalogues, l phoned all holidays companies, as we were getting so many everyday, l did email them but that didn't stop them until l phoned.

eve67

Jan 23, 2015
brightlife etc

Hello eve67 have you phoned brightlife and told them your hubby has Alzheimers, and that you do not want anymore catalogues, l phoned all holidays companies, as we were getting so many everyday, l did email them but that didn't stop them until l phoned.

Have done this today with brightlife, healthy living, lifecures, woods supplements and they all say it will take from about 6 - 10 weeks before the catalogues stop. Easylife say it will take about 3 weeks. Apparently they all have printers with huge warehouses full of cataglogues all bundled up waiting to go in the post, this is the reason why it takes so long for someone's name to be removed from the mailing list, at least that's what they tell me. Am going to keep trying though. I'm on a misson now!

eve67

Jan 23, 2015
Do you have POA for him? If so, you should be able to stop this by controlling his outgoings. If he still has capacity he is technically allowed to make unwise decisions - a lot of us waste money on lotto every week without much return. That said, I would try to stop this as well, as it's preying on the elderly and vulnerable. Have they got Facebook or Twitter accounts? Shame them publicly for exploitation. Or send a complaint to the CEO. If he hasn't got capacity, any financial contract is basically unenforceable anymore.

Don't have this yet, not sure he would agree to it at the moment. Have looked at these companies websites and they are not on facebook or twitter. Could idea about trying to shame them though. Have added up amounts he's spent (£2,600) over 18 months, have told him this and got him to agree that if he doesn't win next time we will write a letter asking them to remove his name from their lists. Don't know if I can keep this up for 2 -3 months though! Wishful thinking.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Don't have this yet, not sure he would agree to it at the moment. Have looked at these companies websites and they are not on facebook or twitter. Could idea about trying to shame them though. Have added up amounts he's spent (£2,600) over 18 months, have told him this and got him to agree that if he doesn't win next time we will write a letter asking them to remove his name from their lists. Don't know if I can keep this up for 2 -3 months though! Wishful thinking.

It is very easy with dementia to kid ourselves that we have had a reasoned discussion with someone, but unfortunately, logical thought is one of the first things to go. I strongly suspect that when he doesnt win next time he will have forgotten your conversation and say that if he doesnt win next time he will do it ...........

Sometimes you just have to take control and do things that are for the best. I think that nitrams advice is the way to go