Financial query........

Billy's Girl

Oct 8, 2013
West Yorkshire
At a meeting last week my oh was denied continuing care but recommended for nursing care. He is currently self funded but will reach the limit at the end of July. Does that mean the nursing care element of what he is currently paying will be deducted and paid for by the NH? Or is what he is paying now is exclusive of nursing care? I have asked three times for a financial assessment and am always told there is a backlog so I have been sorting through all this alone. I will actually ask in the office today but I think these things are done from head office. I would be grateful of any advice given.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
I've just realis d there is a special forum for financial questions
No need to worry about that the moderators can move it if they so desire.

I take it your OH is already in a Nursing Home. If so just speak to the manager and they will collect the money from the NHS/CGG direct. It should reduce the NH costs but again speak to the manager. :)

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
No need to worry about that the moderators can move it if they so desire.

I take it your OH is already in a Nursing Home. If so just speak to the manager and they will collect the money from the NHS/CGG direct. It should reduce the NH costs but again speak to the manager. :)

I'll keep my eye on this one. I could do with similar info at present!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
FNC is paid direct to the home, it is a contribution to help with the provision of nursing staff. It is usually regarded as additional to any fee paid.

A person can be self funding in a nursing home without having been assessed for nursing care. When there are assessed and awarded FNC is when the payments start, it is assumed that before then they did not actually need nursing care. The home can ask for an assessment any time.

The home may reduce self funders' fees but don't have to.

In the OP's case it looks as if the LA will become involved at the end of July and the whole situation will change. The contract will move from the resident (or resident's representative) to the LA which will start partial funding. The resident should refuse to pay any top up and not sign anything without careful reading and/or advice.

Last edited:

Billy's Girl

Oct 8, 2013
West Yorkshire
Update

I have in fact asked when I visited today. I was told that the nursing care will not affect what my OH is paying. I was also told that this allows for him to have 24 hour nursing care and any extras which he deems to be in need of medically, ie aids etc. as for getting advice at the end of July, who should I go to for advice before signing? Thank you for your comments and help

QUOTE=nitram;1120681]FNC is paid direct to the home, it is a contribution to help with the provision of nursing staff. It is usually regarded as additional to any fee paid.

A person can be self funding in a nursing home without having been assessed for nursing care. When there are assessed and awarded FNC is when the payments start, it is assumed that before then they did not actually need nursing care. The home can ask for an assessment any time.

The home may reduce self funders' fees but don't have to.

In the OP's case it looks as if the LA will become involved at the end of July and the whole situation will change. The contract will move from the resident (or resident's representative) to the LA which will start partial funding. The resident should refuse to pay any top up and not sign anything without careful reading and/or advice.[/QUOTE]

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"...as for getting advice at the end of July, who should I go to for advice before signing?..."

First don't be pressurised, don't just sign, ask for a copy of what they would like you to sign, then go to CAB or AgeUK and ask about the implications of signing.

The main thing now is to push for a financial assessment, make sure that the LA have it in writing either by letter or email that funds are running low and you expect to be eligible for assistance very soon.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
.......as for getting advice at the end of July, who should I go to for advice before signing? Thank you for your comments and help

I certainly would not be waiting till the end of July before not signing something and getting advice. I am well aware this can all be a bit daunting but being prepared for the time your OH 's money runs out is so much better.

You have said that you have informed the LA and there is a back log so it could be quite a while before they can sort out any funding. They can be a bit unreliable at times.:rolleyes:

Get back to the home and find out what they want to happen, especially if you and OH are happy and wish to stay there. Not all homes accept LA funding and even if they do they may want more than the LA is willing to offer. I take you have told them your OH will no longer be self funding? They should know what the normal LA rate is and if they are willing to accept it.

Will the home wait till the LA get their act together? The LA took 3 months to sort out my Mom's last move and I had to pay the home up front. I do hope yours will be more accommodating and help you during this time.

Good luck and keep asking questions.:)