Sleep deprivation

Alolla

Mar 31, 2014
London
Good morning, all.

My original post has disappeared into the ether -- perhaps the result of being awakened again at 4:30 this morning by my husband with vascular dementia and Alzheimer's disease. For the last 8 to 12 months he has been getting up around 4am; he gets dressed and raises shades, opens curtains and turns on lights throughout the house. I moved out of our bedroom a month ago, and this seemed like a good solution at first, but the creaking floorboards and footsreps from his wandering about the house now wake me up. Medication has been dismissed by the dementia nurse as she says this could increase the likelihood of falls and stroke. Light sleeping pills have also been rejected because of the risk of falls.

He is restless throughout the day and cannot sit for more than 5 minutes, unless he is falling asleep, which he does when he is not wandering around, or even on public transport when we are out and about. I try to keep him busy throughout the day, but this seems to have no effect on his sleeping patterns. To make matters worse, he has a long history of aggressive behaviour.

I am particularly concerned about not getting enough rest as I have recently undergone treatment for cancer (caught early, thank goodness); I fear that the ongoing agressive/restless behaviour and the lack of sleep will cause the disease to return.

Help.

mrs mcgonnagal

May 9, 2015
Dear Alolla,
This is very familiar to me, I have had a terrible few months with my mam, restless sleepless nights. I was also told no sleeping pills due to risks of falls or more confusion. The situation escalated recently and we ended up with a different doctor who prescribed an anti anxiety for my mam. Over the last few days she has steadily improved, has better mood and, last night actually slept for 6 hours. I feel like celebrating today. I don't know if the effect will last, but I so wish this had been offered earlier as it may have saved a lot of suffering and distress for her and sleep deprivation and fear for my own health for me. I am exhausted, but hopeful today. It is well worth asking about an anti anxiety. I hope you can get some help. I know how hard it is. I think you must insist it is looked again, for both your sakes.Good luck. X

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Good morning, all.

My original post has disappeared into the ether -- perhaps the result of being awakened again at 4:30 this morning by my husband with vascular dementia and Alzheimer's disease. For the last 8 to 12 months he has been getting up around 4am; he gets dressed and raises shades, opens curtains and turns on lights throughout the house. I moved out of our bedroom a month ago, and this seemed like a good solution at first, but the creaking floorboards and footsreps from his wandering about the house now wake me up. Medication has been dismissed by the dementia nurse as she says this could increase the likelihood of falls and stroke. Light sleeping pills have also been rejected because of the risk of falls.

He is restless throughout the day and cannot sit for more than 5 minutes, unless he is falling asleep, which he does when he is not wandering around, or even on public transport when we are out and about. I try to keep him busy throughout the day, but this seems to have no effect on his sleeping patterns. To make matters worse, he has a long history of aggressive behaviour.

I am particularly concerned about not getting enough rest as I have recently undergone treatment for cancer (caught early, thank goodness); I fear that the ongoing agressive/restless behaviour and the lack of sleep will cause the disease to return.

Help.

Hello , my husband has been the same for about 8 month now . Wakes up about 4 times during night with long periods of being awake. Like you no help from mental health at all. It's exhausting but I try and dose when hubs has a nap during day . He is not aggressive though. Perhaps an admiral nurse could be of help ? Sorry for not being able to suggest more but didn't want to read and run xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I think you have to insist on a medication review. You are entitled to a nights sleep if you are to continue caring. Some doctors are dismissive of this fundamental need if they personally have no knowledge of dementia. Fortunately our doctors have been hugely supportive.

Alolla

Mar 31, 2014
London
Dear Alolla,
This is very familiar to me, I have had a terrible few months with my mam, restless sleepless nights. I was also told no sleeping pills due to risks of falls or more confusion. The situation escalated recently and we ended up with a different doctor who prescribed an anti anxiety for my mam. Over the last few days she has steadily improved, has better mood and, last night actually slept for 6 hours. I feel like celebrating today. I don't know if the effect will last, but I so wish this had been offered earlier as it may have saved a lot of suffering and distress for her and sleep deprivation and fear for my own health for me. I am exhausted, but hopeful today. It is well worth asking about an anti anxiety. I hope you can get some help. I know how hard it is. I think you must insist it is looked again, for both your sakes.Good luck. X

Thank you for that suggestion. I will pursue the matter tomorrow. I hope the anti-anxiety medication continues to have a stabilising effect on your your mam so that you can continue to get some much-needed rest.

Alolla

Mar 31, 2014
London
I think you have to insist on a medication review. You are entitled to a nights sleep if you are to continue caring. Some doctors are dismissive of this fundamental need if they personally have no knowledge of dementia. Fortunately our doctors have been hugely supportive.

Thank you for your suggestion; I will ask for my husband's review to be brought forward from September. My husband's GP is 100% supportive, but he defers to the dementia nurse when it comes to prescribing medication specifically related to dementia, as this is not his area of expertise.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa