Financial Abuse Allegation

Cinder

Dec 14, 2014
Thank you to all those who offered support on my previous thread.
Just an update: it looks as though no further action will be taken.
Can I please advise anyone looking after an elderly relative to keep detailed financial records- even if you are not PoA but just helping out (as we were).
Thanks again for all your support.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Thank you to all those who offered support on my previous thread.
Just an update: it looks as though no further action will be taken.
Can I please advise anyone looking after an elderly relative to keep detailed financial records- even if you are not PoA but just helping out (as we were).
Thanks again for all your support.

Cinder, I am pleased to hear things are going well for you - fingers crossed! :)

Thanks for the timely reminder about record-keeping. I find it such a pain, especially as in the past mum would always have been generous - we would always share 2 for 1 offers, she'd give me pocket money for the girls and so on. And we did our bit by providing family meals, paying for petrol, etc. We just shared, as so many families do, and never 'counted the cost'. I hate that it's now all so formalised, but as you say, it has to be.......xx

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
That's great news. I try to list every single expense in an A4 diary, but I still have a shoe box full of receipts, these days I don't throw any away. In the same diary I also keep a brief daily record of how things are going with mum. My siblings can look at it any time they want, they choose not to but its there if they want to. Really got to cover yourself these days.

Suzanna1969

Mar 28, 2015
Essex
Really pleased that SOMEONE saw sense, suspect it was the solicitor. Still annoyed on your behalf it ever reared its ugly head. I'd be furious if it was me and would never speak to the parties concerned again but I suspect you're a better person than I am!

Plus it gives me an excuse to use this smiley again:

We NEED this smiley on TP!

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
That must be a relief. I too think it may have been the solicitor saying there was nothing which had any legal justification for a complaint. Hopefully the meddling relatives will leave you alone now to continue to care in peace.

Cinder

Dec 14, 2014
Thank you all again!
Fingers crossed that's the end of it now...

Miss Merlot

Oct 15, 2012
That's great!!! Must be such a relief for you!!

We haven't really needed to keep financial records until very recently - but what with recently activated POA, costs of moving to a new rental flat in assisted living and outgoings associated with her old house clearance and renovation (in readiness for putting it on the rental market - all proceeds to go to her), I've started keeping a running spreadsheet of what was paid out to whom and why and when.

OH being an only child, the only quarrel I might anticipate is with the LA - and hope all this will fireproof us somewhat should that circumstance ever arise....