Petromany

petromany

Sep 16, 2010
West Sussex
It is a long time since I posted as my hubby went into a Nursing Home and has been there for the last 15 months. My reason for posting now is I am really feeling so low after being informed by the home that there had been an altercation between another patient who is quite new to the home,and my hubby , who during this broke a tooth,and today another incident happened with the same person and my hubby was left with scratches all over his arms. Is it the homes responsibility to inform me about any incident or are they warning me about what the future may hold. I am at my wits end and worried sick as up until now he has seemed settled. I hasten to add they have already moved the other patient twice before. Both of them are now on 1hour monitoring. Has anyone had this problem with their loved one, and what can I do.

katie1

Aug 5, 2014
Kendal Cumbria
It is a long time since I posted as my hubby went into a Nursing Home and has been there for the last 15 months. My reason for posting now is I am really feeling so low after being informed by the home that there had been an altercation between another patient who is quite new to the home,and my hubby , who during this broke a tooth,and today another incident happened with the same person and my hubby was left with scratches all over his arms. Is it the homes responsibility to inform me about any incident or are they warning me about what the future may hold. I am at my wits end and worried sick as up until now he has seemed settled. I hasten to add they have already moved the other patient twice before. Both of them are now on 1hour monitoring. Has anyone had this problem with their loved one, and what can I do.

Yes, the home has a duty of care and also must follow procedure and inform you of any incidents. The will have to inform the relatives of the other resident also and you might be asked if you want to take it further. Its good that they are moving people away from each other at least they are trying to do something. It is very difficult to manage.
However, your husband has been there for 15 months without incident, so you may have grounds for suggesting that the other person needs continued one to one (not easy and it will be costly) at least for a set time, for instance two weeks, to see if things improve then gradually reduce the 1-1 over the next 2 weeks or something as the other resident settles.
Perhaps you should ring and make an appointment to go in and discuss the incident, ask to see the report and read their protocol and also discuss their proposed actions, then set a review date and ask to be kept informed.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I think its good hat they tell you - straight up and honest about what is going on.

Did they give you any idea who or what is instigating these coming togethers?
Is your husband being set upon
or is he the one that instigates the interaction?

I am not sure what hourly monitoring will do, surely they both need close supervision until some space can be put between them if it continues.

petromany

Sep 16, 2010
West Sussex
Yes, the home has a duty of care and also must follow procedure and inform you of any incidents. The will have to inform the relatives of the other resident also and you might be asked if you want to take it further. Its good that they are moving people away from each other at least they are trying to do something. It is very difficult to manage.
However, your husband has been there for 15 months without incident, so you may have grounds for suggesting that the other person needs continued one to one (not easy and it will be costly) at least for a set time, for instance two weeks, to see if things improve then gradually reduce the 1-1 over the next 2 weeks or something as the other resident settles.
Perhaps you should ring and make an appointment to go in and discuss the incident, ask to see the report and read their protocol and also discuss their proposed actions, then set a review date and ask to be kept informed.

Thank you Katie for clarifying things for me. I saw my husband today and he is black and blue on his arms well covering all of one arm. He is on Warfarin so bleeds internally at the least bit of pressure. I will have words with the home though as the smack across the face causing a tooth to break off was the first incident and this the second incident is a little alarming due to the bleeding. Many thanks for your help

petromany

Sep 16, 2010
West Sussex
I think its good hat they tell you - straight up and honest about what is going on.

Did they give you any idea who or what is instigating these coming togethers?
Is your husband being set upon
or is he the one that instigates the interaction?

I am not sure what hourly monitoring will do, surely they both need close supervision until some space can be put between them if it continues.

Hi Jessbow, Saw my husband d today to get him to the Dentist, and found him black and blue on both arms and also on his forehead one arm iscausi g some concern as he is on Warfarin and bleeds internally with pressure. Going to have a chat with the Home

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonkeyFeet