Care homes and cameras

SuzieW

May 29, 2015
Hello, my dad has had Alzheimer for over 8 years. He is currently in hospital after falling and getting another UTI. The hospital want to discharge him. We are hoping he will be reassessed as he is refusing to eat and allow carers at his housing to help him. He is getting very agitated and violent at times. Can anyone advise me on how I can find a really good recommended care home in North Warwickshire. I really don't know how to go about finding one. Also is it reasonable to ask if he could have a camera in his room as I am so worried that height be treated badly. Many thanks.
Him

katie1

Aug 5, 2014
Kendal Cumbria
Hello, my dad has had Alzheimer for over 8 years. He is currently in hospital after falling and getting another UTI. The hospital want to discharge him. We are hoping he will be reassessed as he is refusing to eat and allow carers at his housing to help him. He is getting very agitated and violent at times. Can anyone advise me on how I can find a really good recommended care home in North Warwickshire. I really don't know how to go about finding one. Also is it reasonable to ask if he could have a camera in his room as I am so worried that height be treated badly. Many thanks.
Him

You say the hospital want to discharge him? is he fit for discharge?
Where does he presently live, you also say he is refusing food and is agitated and becoming violent. Was this connected with the UTI? is he in pain? or is this part of his condition? I would definitely agree with you he needs a FULL assessment before he is discharged. Then he must be discharged ONLY to somewhere that meets his needs and that can manage his behaviour health and welfare safely!
Ask that he be given a NHS CHC checklist then a FULL CHC assessment immediately!
Whilst that is going on google the Nursing Homes in your area (he may need NURSING home rather than care home because of the behavioural aspect and dietary needs) read their last CQC report and ring them ask if they have any vacancies and put his name on their waiting list even if they have or haven't. Keep in touch with the lead professional or social worker (if you have one.....if you don't you can ring social services and make a self referral and ask someone to come out and see you) or whoever is co-ordinating the Assessment, so you know what they are doing and when.
You can download a copy of the NHS CHC checklist and the NHS Framework (its a long document but explains what should happen!)

count2ten

Dec 13, 2013
You say the hospital want to discharge him? is he fit for discharge?
Where does he presently live, you also say he is refusing food and is agitated and becoming violent. Was this connected with the UTI? is he in pain? or is this part of his condition? I would definitely agree with you he needs a FULL assessment before he is discharged. Then he must be discharged ONLY to somewhere that meets his needs and that can manage his behaviour health and welfare safely!
Ask that he be given a NHS CHC checklist then a FULL CHC assessment immediately!
Whilst that is going on google the Nursing Homes in your area (he may need NURSING home rather than care home because of the behavioural aspect and dietary needs) read their last CQC report and ring them ask if they have any vacancies and put his name on their waiting list even if they have or haven't. Keep in touch with the lead professional or social worker (if you have one.....if you don't you can ring social services and make a self referral and ask someone to come out and see you) or whoever is co-ordinating the Assessment, so you know what they are doing and when.
You can download a copy of the NHS CHC checklist and the NHS Framework (its a long document but explains what should happen!)

Good advice - and also note that the hospital cannot discharge anyone to a residential or nursing home against their wishes or those of their attorney/relative.