Vascular Dementia

Fife

May 21, 2015
Aberdeenshire
Hi I am a carer for my husband who has had VaD since 2010 and he is been disabled since he was 39/40 now he is 74. I married him 19 years ago since that he has had sleep apnea, and type 2 Dibetis, I said to him what else could he get as there was nothing else left. Then 2010 came with the VaD card and due to that he has dizzy turns and Seizers, I thought why him. I had my hands full before this but I just gets worse. He kicks, punches and shouts in his sleep, gets very agitative and his short term memoray is really bad he can't follow the easies thing. I have a short fuse which makes it really hard I have tried very hard to keep calm. There is one thing that helps is watching T.V. in diffrent rooms as he can watch what he wants and I can do the same. I told my doctor that we do this he said that can't be good, but I told him it works for us and keeps things very happy.
From Fife.

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
The doc does not have the right to judge. You have found a way to keep you both happy. Well done!

Hi Fife, B as Parkinson's and yes kicks but that is his restless legs that go with it. What we tend , or I do , is let him watch what he wants I read a good book but su=it with him.

mabbs

Dec 1, 2014
Lancashire
you need to do, whatever works for you, I used to sit in the kitchen doing a jigsaw, while he watched TV, I could hear the TV and could see his head over the back of the chair, more importantly he could see me if he turned his head, but he did get agitated if he couldnt find me, so best for me to be in the room or in sight, like patsy I sometimes read while he watched TV. Take care

Optomistic

Jul 24, 2014
Manchester
My husband has Alzheimers we watch TV together until 9pm then he goes on his X box and i use my laptop and go online with people. We go out together everyday sometimes play bingo or walk round the shops and have a coffee. He also has Glaucoma can only see with one eye and Type 2 Diabetes which has been playing up lately.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
It does sound as though you have your hands full Fife, glad you have found something that helps a little. Sounds like the doctor doesn't have much idea what your life is like day to day.
x

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Hello Fife

I care for my husband who was already housebound for a number of years before vascular dementia came along. Like you, I thought surely nothing else could be added to the many ailments OH had. He also gets agitated and kicks out which I usually manage to avoid but if this happens when I am emptying his catheter, therefore cannot dodge out of range, I have had bruised ribs, arms etc.

Watching TV in separate rooms is an excellent plan because it works for you :)
I sometimes watch same programme with OH but often I go on line or watch something on iplayer with ear plugs - so whilst in the same room I can be "separate".

Fife

May 21, 2015
Aberdeenshire
Timeout

Hello Fife

I care for my husband who was already housebound for a number of years before vascular dementia came along. Like you, I thought surely nothing else could be added to the many ailments OH had. He also gets agitated and kicks out which I usually manage to avoid but if this happens when I am emptying his catheter, therefore cannot dodge out of range, I have had bruised ribs, arms etc.

Watching TV in separate rooms is an excellent plan because it works for you :)
I sometimes watch same programme with OH but often I go on line or watch something on iplayer with ear plugs - so whilst in the same room I can be "separate".

Hi Lilac Blossom,

Yes you don't know what is round the corner you just have to face it when things happen, I do sit and watch t.v. With him sometimes as we do like some of the same programs.

There is a Dementia Group ware I stay once a month and I go every month as it is a great help and you can get a respective of what other carers have to do. Also you can help each other to cope with every day things.

My Carers Support worker from V.S.A is a great help to as are our Care Manager and our Doctor, Our family are a god send as they help when they can, our Daughter is waiting to hear if she gets a house across the road from us which will be very helpful. :)

Fife

May 21, 2015
Aberdeenshire
Doctor

It does sound as though you have your hands full Fife, glad you have found something that helps a little. Sounds like the doctor doesn't have much idea what your life is like day to day.
x

Hi Esmeralda,

Yes I have my hands full but you just do your best, my Doctor knows what I have to put up with day by day as I have told him also he has seen us both together at the surgery and sees first handed what my Husband is like.

I go to a Dementia Group monthly which helps and try to get out and about while he is at his Day Care he goes three days a week. Just having me time helps me a lot and gives me a chance to catch up with my Daughter and her boys.:eek:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti