My dad was diagnosed yesterday

mrsflems

May 20, 2015
Just looking for a support channel at the moment, dont like to moan as I know there are others out there a lot worse off but my dad was diagnosed with early alzheimers yesterday at the age of 56 :(:(

Its not a bolt from the blue as we knew "something wasnt quite right" and have been going back and forth between doctors, brain scans and community nurses and memory tests for almost two years but it is unnerving with whats in front. He was prescribed Aricept and the consultant explained that it wont make us notice any change in his behaviour but it may slow it down and we could have a good few years of a quality life in front of us. He isnt too bad at the moment as he still works, drives etc, his short term memory is awful, we need to tell him the same thing over and over but he knows who we are and doesnt forget where he lives or anything like that yet!

He is adamant that he is going to keep working for as long as possible, his employer has already revoked his driving privileges and he has had his duties altered to suit but the thing that is upsetting him the most is losing his driving licence, where does he stand with the DVLA will he automatically lose it or can an assessment be carried out.

He is also very uncomfortable outwith his comfort zone, doesn't like being out of his own house or going to occasions or anywhere he isnt familiar with - is this normal?

Sorry if Im rambling so much going through my head and I am worried about my mum as well, we have already had so much to overcome as I lost my brother a few years ago in an accident and mum was diagnosed with breast cancer last year (shes fine now though - very lucky in that instance)

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Just looking for a support channel at the moment, dont like to moan as I know there are others out there a lot worse off but my dad was diagnosed with early alzheimers yesterday at the age of 56 :(:(

Its not a bolt from the blue as we knew "something wasnt quite right" and have been going back and forth between doctors, brain scans and community nurses and memory tests for almost two years but it is unnerving with whats in front. He was prescribed Aricept and the consultant explained that it wont make us notice any change in his behaviour but it may slow it down and we could have a good few years of a quality life in front of us. He isnt too bad at the moment as he still works, drives etc, his short term memory is awful, we need to tell him the same thing over and over but he knows who we are and doesnt forget where he lives or anything like that yet!

He is adamant that he is going to keep working for as long as possible, his employer has already revoked his driving privileges and he has had his duties altered to suit but the thing that is upsetting him the most is losing his driving licence, where does he stand with the DVLA will he automatically lose it or can an assessment be carried out.

He is also very uncomfortable outwith his comfort zone, doesn't like being out of his own house or going to occasions or anywhere he isnt familiar with - is this normal?

Sorry if Im rambling so much going through my head and I am worried about my mum as well, we have already had so much to overcome as I lost my brother a few years ago in an accident and mum was diagnosed with breast cancer last year (shes fine now though - very lucky in that instance)

Hi mrsflems, just wanted to offer you a warm welcome to Talking Point, and reassure you that there is so much support and understanding here whenever you need it, am so sorry your dad has been diagnosed at such an early age..a shock for both you and your mum and so much to adjust too..so many questions to ask:eek: please feel free,whenever you need to, to vent your problems without worry here, there is always someone on here who may be able to help, please have a chat with dads GP regarding his driving licence,they will be able to help on that.
Take care and do keeping posting
Chris

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield

Hello there

Your Doctor is correct, when he says you have many years, before the quality of your Dad's life starts to change. There is no reason at the moment for your Dad to alter his way of life in anyway. My husband did his usual things, we travelled to visit my daughter in Florida, 2-3 times a year. he went fishing on his own for many years, always found his way home. He didn't stop driving until 4 years ago, you will find the Doctor at the memory clinic will advise him when to stop driving. They know by the 6 monthly tests how they are progressing.

My OH was diagnosed in 2004, ( He knew he had short term memory loss for the 2 years previously, but, still continued to work). He was put Aricept, and it kept him very good for years. He also has Memetine now,)

It was only 2013, things began to alter. Although he was still walking, talking and taking himself to the bathroom. He was not always able to get to the bathroom quick enough and eventually became incontinent 18 months ago. In the last 6 months, I have found he doesn't always understand everything I say to him, but, I use a couple of words like 'cup of tea' which he can understand and nods. We do get days when he asks a question and I know I have his attention for a little conversation, at the end of which he usually says after my replies, "OK then, that's fine. thank you very much".

I count myself very lucky he was fine for so many years, and after all those ,although not the same now, he is still with me, I hope for many more to come.

I had a book given to me about Dementia, I read the first few pages, and decided this was not for me. No two people with Dementia are the same.

I decided at the beginning, I was going to take this a day at a time, I didn't want to know what may happen next week, next year or in ten years time. What is the point of worrying about things in the future, it is today you are living, yesterday has gone, tomorrow never comes. My advice is live for today, and enjoy life to the full. It is less stress full. Enough time for that when it does come.

I hope your Dad and family enjoy the good years you still have, and, that you cram in lots of lovely events as you can, giving you lots of happy memories later on, when you can show him the pictures (Stan loves looking at all the photo's). God willing, before that, they may have better medication or even a cure. Dad may be lucky. Always be hopeful.

Last edited:

Alison N

Jan 3, 2015
Surrey
Hi mrsflems

Im sorry to hear about you dad. You will find a huge amount of support here for anything you need to know.
My husband was diagnosed last September with young onset Alzheimer's at the age of 52. We informed the DVLA and they sent him for a driving assessment which he passed. He was a lorry driver and they revoked his 7 ton lorry licence but gave him back his car licence and he will be assessed once a year. It is not like the driving test, it is just to make sure he is still safe on the road. It takes a while for all the reports but if your doctor thinks he is still OK to drive until the assessment is done he can carry on driving.

Take care

Alison

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
take this a day at a time, I didn't want to know what may happen next week, next year or in ten years time. What is the point of worrying about things in the future, it is today you are living, yesterday has gone, tomorrow never comes. My advice is live for today, and enjoy life to the full. It is less stress full. Enough time for that when it does come.

This seems very good advice, but I would suggest that you do at least one thing for the future and that is to get Lasting Power of Attorney sorted for birth finance and health & welfare as well as wills (if dad doesn't have one already)while your dad is still well enough. It will hopefully be a long time before these are needed but will save a lot of hassle when they are.

AlwaysHope

May 21, 2015
Hello All. My dad was also diagnosed yesterday. To say I'm devastated for him is an understatement. Currently he's basically fine apart from short term memory like where he put something but to be honest he's always been like that. I hope more than anything we have many good times yet and I hope more he does not suffer at all :(

Hootstoots

May 18, 2015
Worthing,West.Sussex
My Dad has just been diagnosed with Alzheimer's

Good Morning all,Dad has been poorly for a little while,he is 67 years old and yesterday we finally got the diagnosis that we have been waiting for for a while.
My Mum is very positive,which is great,but I just wondered if anyone can help us with what to expect maybe over the coming year.
He will be on a one-a-day tablet to start off.
He already uses a Zimmer frame when getting up and a stick to help him steady himself when he walks.
If this is only mild/early stages Alzheimer's,then I'm so scared.
We are a close family and I have a sister(& we both have respective other halves) which can only help right??
Thanks for reading and for any advice offered.