Local Authority Standard Rate

MissDiane

Oct 18, 2013
If the standard rate is lower than what is actually available, ie the carehomes which can meet mum's needs are much higher can i challenge the standard rate and if so, how do i go about this?

Mum needs a dementia registered care home but i can only find a suitable one in a different borough and the council will only pay that rate which is lower than what they would pay if we found a home in our borough. Although my mum and dad have paid council tax in the higher rate borough for over 48 years, they will only award the lower rate of the next borough.

I'm at a loss what to do next. Mum needs a home asap and i can't find one that we can afford that meets her needs. We did find one and she went for 1 week respite but came out traumatised and they did not deal with her needs appropriately.

katie1

Aug 5, 2014
Kendal Cumbria
If the standard rate is lower than what is actually available, ie the carehomes which can meet mum's needs are much higher can i challenge the standard rate and if so, how do i go about this?

Mum needs a dementia registered care home but i can only find a suitable one in a different borough and the council will only pay that rate which is lower than what they would pay if we found a home in our borough. Although my mum and dad have paid council tax in the higher rate borough for over 48 years, they will only award the lower rate of the next borough.

I'm at a loss what to do next. Mum needs a home asap and i can't find one that we can afford that meets her needs. We did find one and she went for 1 week respite but came out traumatised and they did not deal with her needs appropriately.

Has your Mum had a CHC assessment?
I know its difficult however, we ended up placing Dad out of the area just to get the care he needed, even though it means a longer journey than we had hoped but its not too far, after all its about his needs first. Sorry that doesn't sound very helpful.
Have you visited a good cross section of other homes and looked at their CQC reports online? just to check whats available?

CLAIREDAY

Account on hold
Apr 22, 2015

Hi MissDiane

I had some argument with the LA over my father's funding. The first thing the LA wanted was for me to sell the house which I jointly owned with him.
It was established that was not legally possible if I did not consent to the sale.
Care homes came to assess him and no home would take him within our Local Authority area.
I was advised that he would have to be placed further afield and I would be liable for top up if nothing could be found within the LA rate.
Again I got legal advice and was advised that the Local Authority has to find a home within its usual rate or pay the higher fees.
While this was going on a CHC assessment was started when I argued for it.
A meeting in relation to the CHC funding was going to take place but sadly Dad died before it happened so I don't know what the conclusion would have been.
I would say to the LA you are not paying and tell it to find a care home at its usual rate.

Claire