heart breaking feel so alone

mabbs

Dec 1, 2014
Lancashire
I feel as if my heart is breaking, the tears are flowing. Phil was sectioned yesterday after bout of violence, for my safety he has been sectioned. He looked so lost and afraid, I feel so guilty leaving him there, I have been told I need to be prepared that he may not come home to me.

I thought he would be assessed at home and then asked to take him to the assessment unit in a few days, but yesterday it all happened and we were at the hospital before I drew breath. My daughter in law came this morning, (son is away for work, and daughter lives 300 miles away) and comforted me, bless her, but I am alone again now, how can a house feel so empty, there are so many things I should be doing, bt I cant find the energy/ or cant be bothered, nothing seems worth it now. Cant concentrate on anything.

I rang this morning, he had a bad night and is trying to get out so I wont go in today it will only make him worse, I need to let him settle for a couple of days, I dont know if I am doing the right thing, I know it will upset him if I go in, but it feels wrong to leave him. Oh god why cant they cure this awful disease. I know he is in the best place, and will get the care he needs, but its not helping.

I wish my daughter wasnt so far away.

Moonflower

Mar 28, 2012
No solution or advice but much sympathy
Maybe this will be an opportunity to change medication and things will improve, so that even if he can't come home you could have peaceful visits

There may be many things you should be doing but maybe not today, or tomorrow - have a rest and take care of yourself

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
How very sad, this ****ing disease causes so much suffering. Totally understand why it is best that you do not visit yet, but wonder if anyone else could check on him for you - a good friend or perhaps your daughter-in-law if she has time?

So very sorry for the great sadness you must be feeling right now - and the helplessness. Agree with Moonflowers hopes that this painful period might lead to some success in getting the right meds.

Take care.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
You must be hurting Mabbs. I am sad for you and your husband in this horrible situation. This is not magic wand time though and will be probably be long drawn out meaning a lot of patience and tolerance dealing with the inevitable upset. Give him that time to settle and try to be practical with advice to yourself on how you will deal with a new reality.

So sad. Good wishes to you.

angelface

Oct 8, 2011
london
Have you thought that you are probably suffering from shock? Anyone would feel awful after what you have been through.

Your OH will get the help that he needs now. Sending love and support, and hoping you find the strength to keep on being strong for your husband.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
And the strength to be strong for yourself.
Dreadful things to go through and still have to keep going.
Take a breather and give yourself a little time to come to terms with it all.
Thinking of you and hoping things settle.

colincampsite

Jun 4, 2011
Darlington
Mere words can never be enough
Just so you know
You are not alone
For all those on here
Are pulling for you
And are indeed with you through this.
Xx

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Lot of surrogate daughter here mabbs- all holding you hand and sending you the strength to get through this.

I know what I'd be saying to my Mum if I was your daughter....

Dad is safe,
You are safe,

Let things follow the course that they will.
Then we'll worry about what happens next.

Get some rest, don't be alone, any friend that you can call on for a coffee? No, they wont mind!

Big hug xx

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
Terrible time for you. Be kind to yourself and i hope things settle for you and your husband. You are never alone here. We arexall herexwith you. Sending you strength for the days ahead. Love quilty

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Oh Mabbs, how I sympathise, having been in a similar position myself. I do know how hard this is, but it will get easier, I promise.

I felt just like that, and saw the fear and felt the sadness in Roger; but while Phil is in an assessment unit, they will help him all they can to feel calmer and settle. I knew that I could no longer cope at home as his condition had reached a point beyond my capabilities, and we needed professional help. Always remember though that it's not Phil being violent, it is caused by his illness; Phil is still there underneath it all.

You know Phil, and it sounds right to allow him time to settle, and the staff to gain his confidence. Give yourself time too, be gentle with yourself. I remember the tears flowing when I realised that Roger would not be home again, but try to be kind to yourself. Life is different now, and you will adjust to it, and hopefully, you will be able to enjoy better times with Phil in the future.

Sending love and wishing you strength. I truly understand this tough journey.

Jan x

mabbs

Dec 1, 2014
Lancashire
thank you all for such kind words, I am going to see him on Sunday with my son, I will hopefully be a bit stronger then, and have had a rest, I am usually able to cope but this has floored me, and I dont have any friends near by, but my lovely daughter in law has been a tower of strength.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
It was three years ago that my husband went into an assessment unit. He did go voluntarily but everything was in place for sectioning if he changed his mind. As horrendous as it was at the time it was not long before we saw that he was getting the help he so badly needed.

Nine weeks later he moved from the unit to his present nursing home. He had been given CHC funding and 24 hour 1:1 care. He was calm, no longer tormented by the dreadful disease and certainly not over medicated. He had suffered so much in the 7 years since his diagnosis. For us it was a life saver, he got the proffesional care he so badly needed and his medication was sorted, several being removed as inappropriate.

He has declined over the three years, it is inevitable but he has had three very special years in the nursing home and hopefully will have many more.

It is a shock, one day two of you, the next day just one but if it helps your husband then it really is a price worth paying. Three years on I am still caring, visiting daily and for the most part, my visits are enjoyable and I can sit with him and have no worries about cleaning up, washing and just about everything else as carers we are responsible for. I know it is said often but you really do get quality time together, something that had not been there for a long, long time.

So chin up and accept the unit as the real help your husband needs and deserves.

Take care

Xx

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
I feel deeply for you, it is an awful time and so hard to take in the reality. Many here understand what you are going through, the thoughts, emotions, the aloneness... Come here and write whatever you need to let out and it does help a little.

Sending sympathy and empathy and wishing you strength to get through what lies ahead, and you will somehow or other. But not easy. This horrible destructive disease...

Love
Loo xxx

mabbs

Dec 1, 2014
Lancashire
It was three years ago that my husband went into an assessment unit. He did go voluntarily but everything was in place for sectioning if he changed his mind. As horrendous as it was at the time it was not long before we saw that he was getting the help he so badly needed.

Nine weeks later he moved from the unit to his present nursing home. He had been given CHC funding and 24 hour 1:1 care. He was calm, no longer tormented by the dreadful disease and certainly not over medicated. He had suffered so much in the 7 years since his diagnosis. For us it was a life saver, he got the proffesional care he so badly needed and his medication was sorted, several being removed as inappropriate.

He has declined over the three years, it is inevitable but he has had three very special years in the nursing home and hopefully will have many more.

It is a shock, one day two of you, the next day just one but if it helps your husband then it really is a price worth paying. Three years on I am still caring, visiting daily and for the most part, my visits are enjoyable and I can sit with him and have no worries about cleaning up, washing and just about everything else as carers we are responsible for. I know it is said often but you really do get quality time together, something that had not been there for a long, long time.

So chin up and accept the unit as the real help your husband needs and deserves.

Take care

Xx

Ive just spoken to the unit, and he has been really aggressive all day swearing and spitting, he would never have sworn at a nurse, and spitting is a new stage altogether, I do know in my head he is in the best place, but my heart is getting in the way, they have medicated him now, looks as if they will need to keep him on something to calm him for a while. That makes it even more sensible for him to be there, I am not sure if I am crying for him, or me. I am looking forward to an undisturbed night, hoping I will sleep tonight, to uptight last night. x

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Mabbs, can I give you my honest opinion? Ask for it to be deleted if I go wrong here, but when my hubby was in a violent stage, it was all put down to domestic violence and I had to search for their number, which was never answered, day or night.

Someone heard your distress call. I am personally so glad that you've been heard and helped. I wasn't, and was left to live with the fear of more violence until it eventually subsided.

I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I hurt for you because you hurt, but please allow the help and support to continue. The professionals need to see what we all go through, or probably at least, most of us.

Big hugs to you.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Dear mabbs l have been reading your posts, l am crying for you as l am going through the same problems, l know l can no longer carry on, we try so hard to look after our beloved husbands, but in the end we have to give in. Hope you get some sleep tonight, tomorrow is a new day, lots of tender loving care.

Bill Owen

Feb 17, 2014
BRIDGEND
Time

i feel as if my heart is breaking, the tears are flowing. Phil was sectioned yesterday after bout of violence, for my safety he has been sectioned. He looked so lost and afraid, i feel so guilty leaving him there, i have been told i need to be prepared that he may not come home to me.

I thought he would be assessed at home and then asked to take him to the assessment unit in a few days, but yesterday it all happened and we were at the hospital before i drew breath. My daughter in law came this morning, (son is away for work, and daughter lives 300 miles away) and comforted me, bless her, but i am alone again now, how can a house feel so empty, there are so many things i should be doing, bt i cant find the energy/ or cant be bothered, nothing seems worth it now. Cant concentrate on anything.

I rang this morning, he had a bad night and is trying to get out so i wont go in today it will only make him worse, i need to let him settle for a couple of days, i dont know if i am doing the right thing, i know it will upset him if i go in, but it feels wrong to leave him. Oh god why cant they cure this awful disease. I know he is in the best place, and will get the care he needs, but its not helping.

I wish my daughter wasnt so far away.

take a littel time out for now . It may need the . Med look at to see if he requer stronger med . But for now give you self a littel time out beleve me .i have been there. Thinking of you . Be strong