Stages

Dawnee1418

Feb 22, 2015
Not sure what stage dad is at now but this last week he has deteriorated rapidly. Tonight he came to bed about 8.30 & at 10.30 pm I found him in a distressed state say on his bed his mind had gone back to when he was a young lorry driver & a driver in front of him had an accident & a young child was run over details so gory there's no wonder dad was in a state.
We went down stairs had a drink sat for a while & I explained to him the accident was a long time ago & he helped then after about an hour in so came back to bed dad was telling me to get into his bed. I was prepared for this coming after reading the book "The Dementia Experience" & just told him I slept in the back bedroom not with him. One eye open tonight then just in case. Thankfully dad didn't come get in bed with me .

Last edited:

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
This is such a cruel disease isn't it.
it must have been a bit of a shock to you even though you had read about it,

With my mum I found it was wise to suspect an infection if their seemed to be a sudden downturn
UTIs urinary tract infection or chest infections are the usual culprits,
it could also be Sundowning rather than a worsening of the Dementia., though when mum was Sundowning nothing we said helped her.

I hope your Dad sleeps soundly tonight and doesn't disturb you . hopefully Dad wont remember tomorrow ,
I know you will though.
XXX

Last edited:

Dawnee1418

Feb 22, 2015
This is such a cruel disease isn't it.
it must have been a bit of a shock to you even though you had read about it,

With my mum I found it was wise to suspect an infection if their seemed to be a sudden downturn
UTIs urinary tract infection or chest infections are the usual culprits,
it could also be Sundowning rather than a worsening of the Dementia., though when mum was Sundowning nothing we said helped her.

I hope your Dad sleeps soundly tonight and doesn't disturb you . hopefully Dad wont remember tomorrow ,
I know you will though.
XXX

Thanks dad didn't remember today he's sleeping more & more now . Over past few months we've been sat down stairs all hours with dad until he thinks it's been time to go to bed again all the lights on in the house but now he's sleeping most of the night his mind just flipped back to when he was driving last night but once he'd had a drink he was fine. Settled down & slept not eating now really struggling to get him to eat. Everyone that's seen him think he's deteriorated. He's not even been bothered about having a smoke & up until a few days ago that's all he wanted to do was smoke. Nurses are coming in as he's developed pressure sore & we think he's giving up the will to live.

Last edited:

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Thanks dad didn't remember today he's sleeping more & more now . Over past few months we've been sat down stairs all hours with dad until he thinks it's been time to go to bed again all the lights on in the house but now he's sleeping most of the night his mind just flipped back to when he was driving last night but once he'd had a drink he was fine. Settled down & slept not eating now really struggling to get him to eat. Everyone that's seen him think he's deteriorated. He's not even been bothered about having a smoke & up until a few days ago that's all he wanted to do was smoke. Nurses are coming in as he's developed pressure sore & we think he's giving up the will to live.

It is so hard isn't it. ((((((HUG))))))
Is Dad on any pain relief as pressure sores are very painful .
I'm glad your Dad didn't remember anything .

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBTC