Help

Muff

Apr 19, 2015
My first post and very upset. After concerns about night care and trying to find out what really goes on at night in my fathers care home I have been told by a member of staff the dementia residents are left unattended. I want to move my Dad asap. Any advice?

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
My first post and very upset. After concerns about night care and trying to find out what really goes on at night in my fathers care home I have been told by a member of staff the dementia residents are left unattended. I want to move my Dad asap. Any advice?

Unbelievable: I am sure there will be others on line very soon who will be able to help.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone

Lost for words Muff ! My heart goes out to you ! Have no experience with CH myself so hopefully someone be along soon xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hello Muff and welcome to talking Point.

Residents will be left unattended at night unless they receive 1:1 care. What should happen is whilst they are sleeping they are regularly looked in on to make sure they are fine. It should be documented, in my husband's home it is recoded in his folder with a comment, e.g. Sleeping, awake but settled etc.

If you are unhappy speak to the Manager and let it be known that you are not happy and ask how often your Dad is seen by a member of staff through the night. If it is different from what the member of staff says then there is a problem as one or the other is not telling the truth.

Once you know how they work and if you are not comfortable with the situation then moving your Dad might be the way to go, but moving can have it's problems too.

Hope you can get a solution to the problem, it does at times seem that nothing is going right.

Muff

Apr 19, 2015
Thank You for your reply.

Thank you for you reply. They are dementia residents are awake and just left. Staff and manager have covered up and notes are untrue. Big problem.
Hello Muff and welcome to talking Point.

Residents will be left unattended at night unless they receive 1:1 care. What should happen is whilst they are sleeping they are regularly looked in on to make sure they are fine. It should be documented, in my husband's home it is recoded in his folder with a comment, e.g. Sleeping, awake but settled etc.

If you are unhappy speak to the Manager and let it be known that you are not happy and ask how often your Dad is seen by a member of staff through the night. If it is different from what the member of staff says then there is a problem as one or the other is not telling the truth.

Once you know how they work and if you are not comfortable with the situation then moving your Dad might be the way to go, but moving can have it's problems too.

Hope you can get a solution to the problem, it does at times seem that nothing is going right.

katie1

Aug 5, 2014
Kendal Cumbria
please make sure you have all the correct information
this sounds like a very serious matter than could need investigation by CQC
but you must be sure that your information is accurate

VickyG

Feb 6, 2013
Birmingham
Hi

I know a few care homes ( as a former member of staff ) and, depending on the residents, for example, my last care home : 4 units, 2 being 'Residential' and 2 being 'Dementia' units, on each of the ' Residential' - 1 member of night staff, 'Dementia' units, 2 members of night staff. No UNIT was left unattended at any time. Like Jaymor has said, unless a person is receiving 1:1 care, at some point, and it's not only at night, residents will be left unattended. The residents on ALL units were checked hourly throughout the night, and the correct reports were documented and entered into each residents care plan. That is a legal requirement and can be called into question at any point in time. Care plans and daily recordings ( Food, Fluids, Sleep etc etc ) can be accessed by any of the multi disciplinary team and certainly CQC.