Dad started to lean to one side

Chewy

Feb 4, 2013
Hi everyone , hope this weekend has been kind to you all. As you all know I care for my dad who suffers with Vascular Dementia diagnosed roughly 5 years ago. Still dealing with the spitting on everything but noticed when dad goes out for a walk he seems to lean to one side which he never used to . Has anyone experienced this with a loved one , is there any reason for concern or just another stage of this awful disease that we have to deal with ? Dads been quite bad lately his delusions of people trying to kill him and everyone taking all his money and personal things are really getting us all down any advice or meds he should be on which may help the situation . Currently on Aricept Memantine Sertraline & 1/2 mg Lorazepam only when really bad to calm him down. He is really aggressive at times and it really hurts us all to see him like this, I know if he were well he wouldn't be like this but we seem to be rapidly approaching breaking point !!!! Rant over back to normal in the morning whatever that is these days.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

liz56

Feb 15, 2015
North Somerset
Hi everyone , hope this weekend has been kind to you all. As you all know I care for my dad who suffers with Vascular Dementia diagnosed roughly 5 years ago. Still dealing with the spitting on everything but noticed when dad goes out for a walk he seems to lean to one side which he never used to . Has anyone experienced this with a loved one , is there any reason for concern or just another stage of this awful disease that we have to deal with ? Dads been quite bad lately his delusions of people trying to kill him and everyone taking all his money and personal things are really getting us all down any advice or meds he should be on which may help the situation . Currently on Aricept Memantine Sertraline & 1/2 mg Lorazepam only when really bad to calm him down. He is really aggressive at times and it really hurts us all to see him like this, I know if he were well he wouldn't be like this but we seem to be rapidly approaching breaking point !!!! Rant over back to normal in the morning whatever that is these days.

Hi Chewy
My Dad ( moderate alzh ) leans to one side when he sits - often looks as if he might fall off a chair ! He is surprised when we remind him to sit upright, he has no idea he is leaning !

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Hi, this seems to be relatively common. If you put 'lean' into the search box (top right) you will find a number of threads which might be of interest to you.

Is the lean constant or does it vary or sometimes disappear?

My wife has some Parkinson's symptoms as well as dementia and some people with Parkinson's experience this leaning. I mention this because Sue is now on Co-careldopa to help with the symptoms and it does seem to be having some positive effects though since her tilt comes and goes anyway it's hard to tell if there's any effect on that.

kaycee30

Feb 4, 2015
Hi, my Dad did that for a while and became suddenly aggressive too. It turned out, after GP examination he was in pain with constipation and the position was comfortable for him. Id get GP to examine for any changes in behaviour

Acco

Oct 3, 2011
Just in the last few months my wife (9 yrs plus, Alz/VaD) has started leaning to one side (left) both when sitting and walking. Also, she sometimes stoops almost to being doubled up when sitting and walking. Trying to get her posture correct is almost impossible as it is as though her muscles are like springs and no matter what I do she recoils; the force needed to try and get her in a better attitude is also surprisingly strong and not because of her reluctance to what I try.
I experienced real and frequent aggression from her about 3 - 4 years ago but Pat is now thankfully back to her normal, happy and accommodating self and this without any medical intervention :).
I suspect both are part of this dreadful disease, the former I fear will become a lasting feature which is now seriously impacting one her walking and balance :(.

Shiela

Mar 26, 2015
hi my husband leans to one side and also leans backwards when stood up which causes lots of falls. I have not had any answers from the doctors about this but now I know that it is part of his dementia. Sometimes he can't eat his meals when the leaning is really bad but it does come and go. I am very glad I joined this site as I have learned more here than from the professionals thanks x

Chewy

Feb 4, 2013
Thanks for all your replies will perceive with dad and let you all know what outcome we come up with.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
My OH was also a 'leaner' -sometimes it was a sign of constipation and others purely because of Dementia. It used to come and go.

Take care

Lyn T