moving mum!!!!

rapidlygoinggre

May 2, 2015
Bedford
Hi,

I'm new to this so not sure if this is the right place to bring this.

My Mum has CHC funding, from Bedfordshire and lives in Peterborough, but at a recent CHC review the assessor informed me that they want to bring Mum 'back into County.' She has been living in Peterborough for nearly 3 year. The only reason I have been given is it's easier for the CHC assessor to 'keep a check on her.'
The assessor has suggested a couple of places, one of which was in the local press for a poor CQC report. I have visited both places and am not happy with either, so looked at a couple more, off my own back. I found a really nice place and mentioned it to the assessor, who tried to 'fob me off' with 'we don't know what it's like as it's recently opened, at the beginning of the year. There are all new a staff and management who have not yet 'gelled.'' My response to that was that it was no different than when she moved to Peterborough, she was the 6th client in a brand new facility!
Her present home are worried that the move would be detrimental to Mum's health and don't want her to move.
I have a meeting with the CHC assessor on Wednesday, I'm at my wits end with what to do next, any suggestions?

katek

Jan 19, 2015
Hi,

I'm new to this so not sure if this is the right place to bring this.

My Mum has CHC funding, from Bedfordshire and lives in Peterborough, but at a recent CHC review the assessor informed me that they want to bring Mum 'back into County.' She has been living in Peterborough for nearly 3 year. The only reason I have been given is it's easier for the CHC assessor to 'keep a check on her.'
The assessor has suggested a couple of places, one of which was in the local press for a poor CQC report. I have visited both places and am not happy with either, so looked at a couple more, off my own back. I found a really nice place and mentioned it to the assessor, who tried to 'fob me off' with 'we don't know what it's like as it's recently opened, at the beginning of the year. There are all new a staff and management who have not yet 'gelled.'' My response to that was that it was no different than when she moved to Peterborough, she was the 6th client in a brand new facility!
Her present home are worried that the move would be detrimental to Mum's health and don't want her to move.
I have a meeting with the CHC assessor on Wednesday, I'm at my wits end with what to do next, any suggestions?

Hi, and welcome to TP!

I would have thought that, especially with the backing of the current nursing home staff, your mother's needs should be paramount. It can indeed be very disruptive to move anyone, especially if they have AD.

If the only reason they can give you is that it's for the CHC assessor's convenience (the cheek of it!), I think your argument is much stronger, and you should push for what is best for your mother, which is probably keeping her where she is.

Last edited:

rapidlygoinggre

May 2, 2015
Bedford
Hi, and welcome to TP!

I would have thought that, especially with the backing of the current nursing home staff, your mother's needs should be paramount. It can indeed be very disruptive to move anyone, especially if they have AD.

If the only reason they can give you is that it's for the CHC assessor's convenience (the cheek of it!), I think your argument is much stronger, and you should push for what is best for your mother, which is probably keeping her where she is.

That was what I thought but am felling a bit bullied into something that I don't want. I'm not sure what to do next, especially as the assessor phoned at 4.30 on Friday!!! Nobody about until Tuesday, doesn't give me much time before the meeting.

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
They must put your mother's care needs first. Put together all the reasons you think that a move would be detrimental to her, things like wouldn't be able to become familiar with new home, might fall in unfamiliar surroundings, so health and safety, etc etc.

This unquestionably sounds as if it is being proposed for financial/logistical reasons which have not been fully disclosed to you, rather than for the good of your mother. You CAN object just make sure you have all your arguments sorted out, like write a list of them and talk more to her current home manager about in what ways they think it would be detrimental to her. Wherever possible, it is clearly best not to move people unless they have to be moved.

You can object to a move and should certainly do so if you are not sure the outcome will be in your mother's best interests. Just make sure they know that you are objecting.

Worried Nurse

Jan 30, 2013
Just a thought, this may also have arisen because of Winterbourne View, in order to ensure CCGs are more regularly visiting in the care homes where they are commissioning care. I do hope it isn't financially driven, although the alternatives offered could well be.

rapidlygoinggre

May 2, 2015
Bedford
They must put your mother's care needs first. Put together all the reasons you think that a move would be detrimental to her, things like wouldn't be able to become familiar with new home, might fall in unfamiliar surroundings, so health and safety, etc etc.

This unquestionably sounds as if it is being proposed for financial/logistical reasons which have not been fully disclosed to you, rather than for the good of your mother. You CAN object just make sure you have all your arguments sorted out, like write a list of them and talk more to her current home manager about in what ways they think it would be detrimental to her. Wherever possible, it is clearly best not to move people unless they have to be moved.

You can object to a move and should certainly do so if you are not sure the outcome will be in your mother's best interests. Just make sure they know that you are objecting.

I was of the same opinion regarding reason behind the move. I'm frantically reading the CHC guidelines regarding moving Mum, which does say that if detrimental to health then can be stopped. As it's the Bank Holiday weekend there's nobody about to discuss with. As Mum is non weight barring a fall is unlikely, and although she does not communicate with others I'm sure there's a 'little spark' inside somewhere that will notice the changes.
Thanks for the suggestions regarding making a list, the meeting is Wednesday evening, so not much time.

rapidlygoinggre

May 2, 2015
Bedford
Just a thought, this may also have arisen because of Winterbourne View, in order to ensure CCGs are more regularly visiting in the care homes where they are commissioning care. I do hope it isn't financially driven, although the alternatives offered could well be.

Mum's needs are complex but I don't think they would be covered by Winterbourne View. I'm of the opinion that it's driven by financially and logistic reasons. The care home suggested I'm not happy with and they don't seem to want to consider the one that I've found. I am prepared to take this further but could really do without the stress.

geum123

May 20, 2009
although she does not communicate with others I'm sure there's a 'little spark' inside somewhere that will notice the changes.

I'd also use lack of communication in your argument against your Mum being moved, rapidlygoinggre,

Because she does not communicate, the staff will have to interpret her needs.
That will be easier for people that know, and are used to your Mum,
and far more difficult for a new set of staff if she were to be moved,
which is not in her best interests.

rapidlygoinggre

May 2, 2015
Bedford
I'd also use lack of communication in your argument against your Mum being moved, rapidlygoinggre,

Because she does not communicate, the staff will have to interpret her needs.
That will be easier for people that know, and are used to your Mum,
and far more difficult for a new set of staff if she were to be moved,
which is not in her best interests.

Well, I think I might have 'won the battle,' but 'not the war.' Mum is not going to the place the CHC assessor is suggesting, but...... she is going to be moved. The reason given was that they (CHC) can't monitor her so easily and it is now a requirement as a result of the Winterbourne View report. I'm sure money has got something to do with it too. So now I have to find a new place for Mum and they obviously want things to move along. I did get my point across about 'a little spark' and wanting quality visits and being able to go out. Many of the homes round here are isolated so am making sure that it's right for Mum and me.

katek

Jan 19, 2015
Well, I think I might have 'won the battle,' but 'not the war.' Mum is not going to the place the CHC assessor is suggesting, but...... she is going to be moved. The reason given was that they (CHC) can't monitor her so easily and it is now a requirement as a result of the Winterbourne View report. I'm sure money has got something to do with it too. So now I have to find a new place for Mum and they obviously want things to move along. I did get my point across about 'a little spark' and wanting quality visits and being able to go out. Many of the homes round here are isolated so am making sure that it's right for Mum and me.

Good for you, and stick out for what would be the most suitable for your mum, and for you (as obviously you being able to visit easily is to her benefit too).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB2CAN