So upset partner been in hosp 5 weeks

Jeb69

Mar 13, 2015
I am new to this so please forgive me if I get it wrong. I Am so upset my partner spent 5 weeks in hosp after cardiac arrest, he's now been sent to another hosp for rehab which is much further away from home. Does anyone know whether I can claim anything towards travel expenses as its either 3 busses taking about 1 hour or taxi fare which is £14 each way. I visit every day as wouldn't leave him on his own in strange place. I am so upset keep crying.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Good morning, so sorry about your husband. Have you tried carers support as they help out on things like that. Don't know which area you are but also give admiral nurse a ring . Hope husband will recover quickly (( hugs )) to you

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
(You cannot claim help with travel costs, if
you are visiting someone in hospital. However, visitors in receipt of one of the qualifying benefits may be able to receive assistance in the form of a Discretionary Care Grant. Further information about this assistance can be obtained from your local council.)
I found this it is on this page if you scroll down,

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/Travelcosts.aspx

I am sorry to hear about you husband it must be very worrying when my husband had a triple heart bypass and was in hospital 11 weeks I travelled every day 30 miles each way and it cost a fortune, I didn't know about claiming anything,

The last week I was found a flat in the grounds and stayed there I had to pay but it was less than the bus or petrol money for someone to take me would have been, there might be something similar at the hospital that your husband is at,

I hope he recovers and is well soon,

Jeany x

Last edited:

Jeb69

Mar 13, 2015
Good morning, so sorry about your husband. Have you tried carers support as they help out on things like that. Don't know which area you are but also give admiral nurse a ring . Hope husband will recover quickly (( hugs )) to you

I am in Birmingham. Thank you for your reply I will get in touch with admiral nurse. I often read posts on here and have found them very useful, just wish I could stop the waterworks.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
I am in Birmingham. Thank you for your reply I will get in touch with admiral nurse. I often read posts on here and have found them very useful, just wish I could stop the waterworks.

Awww poor you ! My OH needs op in London and admiral nurse and carers support will sort transport for me and a place to stay when date comes through! Hopefully they will help you :) it must be so exhausting for you . Plz let me know if you get some support and keep posting so we can send lots of hugs xxxxx

Jeb69

Mar 13, 2015
Awww poor you ! My OH needs op in London and admiral nurse and carers support will sort transport for me and a place to stay when date comes through! Hopefully they will help you :) it must be so exhausting for you . Plz let me know if you get some support and keep posting so we can send lots of hugs xxxxx

Thank you all for your kind support and hope your OH will soon be on the mend. We have been together over 30 yrs and never been parted we have done everything together, even shopping on my own is hard but will have to stop feeling sorry for myself and get on with it. It is very hard to wave goodbye and go home to empty house.
Love & good wishes to you all and hope things get better??

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
Thinking of you Jeb and your husband - hope news is better soon. Know how heart breaking it is to return home after visiting hospital or Nursing Home especially if you have always been together. Stay strong and do look after yourself - especially eat as well as you can to keep your strength up for what lies ahead and rest as much as possible in between visits. Hope you manage to get some assistance with the visiting costs. Loving thoughts WIFE

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Thank you all for your kind support and hope your OH will soon be on the mend. We have been together over 30 yrs and never been parted we have done everything together, even shopping on my own is hard but will have to stop feeling sorry for myself and get on with it. It is very hard to wave goodbye and go home to empty house.
Love & good wishes to you all and hope things get better??

Hiya just wondered how you are? Xx

Jeb69

Mar 13, 2015
Hiya just wondered how you are? Xx

Hi, I am much better than I was thank you. With the help of friend I have drove myself to the hospital via residential roads which is less stressful than the very busy main roads. :eek: first time I was completely stressed out when I got there but second time was better, see how I get on today. Partner is improving pleased to say and it is lovely to see him dressed, not very good on his feet yet but getting there. Thank you all for your good wishes and support you are such a genuine caring bunch xxxxx jan x

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Hi, I am much better than I was thank you. With the help of friend I have drove myself to the hospital via residential roads which is less stressful than the very busy main roads. :eek: first time I was completely stressed out when I got there but second time was better, see how I get on today. Partner is improving pleased to say and it is lovely to see him dressed, not very good on his feet yet but getting there. Thank you all for your good wishes and support you are such a genuine caring bunch xxxxx jan x

What lovely news Jan :) and great to see help of a friend too. Here's hoping your partner keeps on improving and will be recovering soon! Do look after yourself too as you must be exhausted, a little bit of me time goes a long way! Thinking of you xxx