Interested person

Rosie2

May 17, 2008
I have now found out how important LPA health and welfare is.
I am now classed as an interested party and a such entitled to minimum paperwork.
Nearly 50 years of marriage counts for nothing. Interested party? What! Is that all I am. How I resent that.
I have a constant level of anxiety and feel I no longer have any input into my husband's life.
Dementia strips away everything one holds dear.
Make sure you get Health and Welfare.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Thanks for that Rosie, although I was anxious to get the financial LPA I hadn't thought of doing this one but I'll definitely have a careful look at it. I'm very sorry you are having such a stressful and anxious time. It's a source of constant amazement to me that carers are expected to do so much but are given little information or influence on decisions about people who we are the experts on. It must be so distressing for you.
I'm not sure if or how you have to prove that the donor has capacity though. My husband's problems are mainly with the executive function of the brain and physical incapacity, but he does still have understanding.

Last edited:

Rosie2

May 17, 2008
Thanks for that Rosie, although I was anxious to get the financial LPA I hadn't thought of doing this one but I'll definitely have a careful look at it. I'm not sure if or how you have to prove that the donor has capacity though. My husband's problems are mainly with the executive function of the brain and physical incapacity, but he does still have understanding.

I too was anxious about financial stuff and didn't think at all about H&W. Big mistake.
If your husband can still understand I would say do not delay.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Rosie, I understand your feelings. This has been discussed before on TP and two points are worth bearing in mind:

1) People sometimes find that they are not consulted and kept informed even though they have the H & W LPA.

2) There is an expectation (I think a document has been quoted) that medics consult and discuss things with close relatives regardless.

I'll see if I can track down the threads.

I realise you're not satisfied wit the level of consultation otherwise you wouldn't be feeling like this. In what ways are your wishes being ignored?