My Dad and his Dementia - If anyone can advise me???

rowtalk

Jun 13, 2014
Hello

I have not been on this for a while, but decided to start a new thread, my mother passed away in March 2013 in a residential home with Dementia as one of the items on the death certificate. My dad was diagnosed with Vascular Dementia December 2012 he had his own home but has been in a Nursing/Care home for just over a year and is self funding with the proceeds of his home sale (which is disappearing fast)
The main reason I need some advise is two weeks ago he has developed a rather nasty water infection (he is incontinent/has arthritis/catharacts/gloucoma/and is deaf in both ears) and started a course of antibiotics then a chest infection with more antibiotics, he has been bed ridden since, he started another antibiotic last week, he is talking a lot of gibberish and is not really eating and drinking properly, he is a big man (88) and the last time his Dementia was reviewed it is on the borderline of Moderate, I am really worried that this is the start of being permanently in bed as he seems to be getting very stiff
Any advise will be helpful
Thanks
Rowtalk

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
What does the Doctor say? It could be the infections having an impact - unfortunately, as I'm sure you know, infections usually do have an impact on the dementia. I know with my own husband, he would be much more confused etc. when he has an infection and although he would get "better" again when the infection was cleared, he never would get back quite to where he was before the infection.

rowtalk

Jun 13, 2014
What does the Doctor say? It could be the infections having an impact - unfortunately, as I'm sure you know, infections usually do have an impact on the dementia. I know with my own husband, he would be much more confused etc. when he has an infection and although he would get "better" again when the infection was cleared, he never would get back quite to where he was before the infection.

Thank you LadyA
The doctor has seen my dad several times since his infection and just says he has to be given time to let the antibiotics work - but which ones he has had three different strong ones now and has had thrush in his mouth as a result?
Like you say this is probably a result of the infection and will just have to wait and see I will go and visit tomorrow and see how he is see which of me he sees tomorrow he thinks there is two of me already
Thanks for the reply

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Sounds like he has been very ill, and at his age, it's bound to have a major affect on him. Maybe talk to the staff at the home, get their impressions of how he is doing?

rowtalk

Jun 13, 2014
I will thank you :)

I went to see him today they have got him out of bed (the gentleman who got him out said that he thought he looked better out as his chest was worst lying down)
I must say I am not happy with his progress, he wanted a shower so they were going to sort that out, but he had taken out his teeth and hearing aids so he is almost impossible to communicate with.
I was told that he had eaten, and I bought him lots of drinks in, but if there is still little progress when I go again on Thursday I am going to have to ask what happens next???
I am soooooo worried about him