Having stomach bug has really caused confusion

Nibbs62

Apr 20, 2015
Saturday night my mother-in-law had sickness & diarrhoea and got little sleep, all day Sunday she was very confused and rambling. She is still the same today ( Monday )
Why does being unwell cause this dramatic change? This also happened a while back when she had a bad cold.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated Lesley

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The sickness and diarrhoea can cause dehydration which can lead to acute confusion, just like a UTI. It is imperative to maintain a high fluid intake to compensate.

Nibbs62

Apr 20, 2015
The sickness and diarrhoea can cause dehydration which can lead to acute confusion, just like a UTI. It is imperative to maintain a high fluid intake to compensate.

Thanks for the advice does this include cups of tea or just cold drinks

Candlelight 67

Nov 4, 2013
West Sussex
Try rehydration sachets from the chemist. When my Mother had a tummy bug the Dr who came out recommended them. This was because my Mother wasn't eating or drinking much. She recovered quite quickly after taking one or it might have been the shock of a house visit from the Dr.

Hope your Mother in law feels better soon.

Nibbs62

Apr 20, 2015
Try rehydration sachets from the chemist. When my Mother had a tummy bug the Dr who came out recommended them. This was because my Mother wasn't eating or drinking much. She recovered quite quickly after taking one or it might have been the shock of a house visit from the Dr.

Hope your Mother in law feels better soon.

Thanks I've just spoken to the Dr and he's prescribed Diorulite so fingers crossed.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
I'm sorry to hear about your mother.

From a website I found I think this sums it up well...

"Researchers have found a link between common infections, such as a cold, stomach bug or urine infection and an increase in inflammation like reactions in the brain which lead to an increased rate of cognitive decline. Study results show that people who got an infection had twice the rate of memory loss as people without infections".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa