Has anyone else had this??

1953barney

Nov 5, 2013
Suffolk
I look after mum with Alzheimer's and have noticed that she has started to eat tissues, tea towels or anything else she gets in her hand. Has anyone else has anything like this? She has also started banging in the bedside table at various times through the night and today banged on her tea cup and when I asked her what she was doing she said trying to attract someone's attention, although I was sat opposite her at the time.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Hi Barney - yes, my mam has eaten tissues too. She has also tried to eat a television remote control, and when sitting at the table often uses her cutlery to try to eat the pattern on the placemats, presumably thinking it's a plate filled with food.

It's very sad and cruel, this illness. You have my heartfelt sympathy.

1953barney

Nov 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi Barney - yes, my mam has eaten tissues too. She has also tried to eat a television remote control, and when sitting at the table often uses her cutlery to try to eat the pattern on the placemats, presumably thinking it's a plate filled with food.

It's very sad and cruel, this illness. You have my heartfelt sympathy.

Thank you it's a horrible illness, thought dad was bad with bowel cancer but I wouldn't wish this one on anybody. Mum is driving me mad today, she has had me up the last three nights so I am running in my nerves at the moment

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Yes! My OH ate tissues and also sucked on towels, blankets and cushions. Like CG's Mum, Pete used to cut food that wasn't there.

Sympathy for you re the broken nights. Can you pinpoint anything she needs or wants? A drink/food for example? If it goes on too long I would suggest a call to her GP as maybe he/he could help with meds.

Take care

Lyn T XX

1953barney

Nov 5, 2013
Suffolk
Yes! My OH ate tissues and also sucked on towels, blankets and cushions. Like CG's Mum, Pete used to cut food that wasn't there.

Sympathy for you re the broken nights. Can you pinpoint anything she needs or wants? A drink/food for example? If it goes on too long I would suggest a call to her GP as maybe he/he could help with meds.

Take care

Lyn T XX

Thanks Lyn, had to call the ambulance and mum was admitted to hospital last night she can barely walk, she is dehydrated, she said she felt that she couldn't swallow properly and her feet are very pale and swollen. They have got her on drips and are doing various tests. My daughter and I have just got back home so will see what they have to say later this morning.

Trish

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Thanks Lyn, had to call the ambulance and mum was admitted to hospital last night she can barely walk, she is dehydrated, she said she felt that she couldn't swallow properly and her feet are very pale and swollen. They have got her on drips and are doing various tests. My daughter and I have just got back home so will see what they have to say later this morning.

Trish

Oh Trish! How awful.It's quite possible that the effects of the dehydration contributed to her broken nights. Try not to worry too much (easy to say I know). I expect your Mum will be given loads of tests and hopefully the medics will find out the problem.

I hope you manage to get some sleep.

Try to post an update if you can.

Love

Lyn T XX

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Im sorry to read about your mum. I hope she's ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear this, and hope things improve soon. Do try to get some rest yourself while she's in hospital ,although I know it's very difficult x

1953barney

Nov 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi all and thank you, I didn't get much sleep I'm afraid, I have cared for mum for quite a long time now, so it felt like something was missing, even the constant banging on the furniture through the night. Nothing to report at the moment the hospital say she is about the same and they are continuing with there treatment and tests, I also spoke to the District Nurse who has been treating mum, she did say the other day that she thought something else was going on and that mum was very poorly. She also said this morning that I maybe that we need to prepare ourselves for no improvement. my daughter and I spoke of nothing else until the very early hours and she thinks, as I think I do too that perhaps I have done all I can for mum now she cannot get around and really needs constant nursing 24 hours. I also had a call from mums SW this morning FINALLY!! who said I did need to speak to the hospital SW as mums condition has got so dire so we can do what is best for her. She always panicked if she was away from me, but now she believes I am her elder sister and my daughter is me, so probably the time is right to consider nursing care. The trouble is I feel so terrible for thinking like this, as though I am letting her down and abandoning her. I will see what the hospital has to say on her condition when I go this afternoon. Thank you for all the messages it does help to know you are not alone and a bad person xx

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
Hi all and thank you, I didn't get much sleep I'm afraid, I have cared for mum for quite a long time now, so it felt like something was missing, even the constant banging on the furniture through the night. Nothing to report at the moment the hospital say she is about the same and they are continuing with there treatment and tests, I also spoke to the District Nurse who has been treating mum, she did say the other day that she thought something else was going on and that mum was very poorly. She also said this morning that I maybe that we need to prepare ourselves for no improvement. my daughter and I spoke of nothing else until the very early hours and she thinks, as I think I do too that perhaps I have done all I can for mum now she cannot get around and really needs constant nursing 24 hours. I also had a call from mums SW this morning FINALLY!! who said I did need to speak to the hospital SW as mums condition has got so dire so we can do what is best for her. She always panicked if she was away from me, but now she believes I am her elder sister and my daughter is me, so probably the time is right to consider nursing care. The trouble is I feel so terrible for thinking like this, as though I am letting her down and abandoning her. I will see what the hospital has to say on her condition when I go this afternoon. Thank you for all the messages it does help to know you are not alone and a bad person xx

I'm so sorry, Trish. I know you have been struggling with this for a long time. You had finally gotten the housing situation straightened out, and it seemed like things ought to be working out now, so this must be very hard on you all. I wonder whether your mother's issues might have started with a UTI. At any rate, the downhill slope seems to have been so fast that you are going to need to reassess whether you can handle this alone. My sense is that it is beyond an individual's ability to care, and planning for these next weeks/months means including nursing care options. It must be very hard. Just wanted to drop in and say hello. Sending warm wishes to you and yours as you sort this out.

Essie

Feb 11, 2015
Trish, I'm so sorry that your Mum has declined so much and so quickly but please don't be so hard on yourself - of course you're not a bad person for considering full time nursing care for Mum - if that's what she needs now (and it does sound like it might be the next step) then doing that is the right thing, it's you doing your best for your Mum and sometimes that does mean not doing it all yourself. It's a horrible time for you all I know so see your Mum as much as you can and treasure that time, you've done the best and you are still doing the best for Mum.

Sending hugs, Essie.

1953barney

Nov 5, 2013
Suffolk
I'm so sorry, Trish. I know you have been struggling with this for a long time. You had finally gotten the housing situation straightened out, and it seemed like things ought to be working out now, so this must be very hard on you all. I wonder whether your mother's issues might have started with a UTI. At any rate, the downhill slope seems to have been so fast that you are going to need to reassess whether you can handle this alone. My sense is that it is beyond an individual's ability to care, and planning for these next weeks/months means including nursing care options. It must be very hard. Just wanted to drop in and say hello. Sending warm wishes to you and yours as you sort this out.

Hi Carla lovely to hear from you. The consultant came to speak to me today and he said they very concerned about mum's liver, he even asked if she had been a heavy drinker. Mum has always been the complete opposite having the very odd sherry and nothing much else. They were moving her to another ward and were arranging for her to have a scan. The way he spoke to me it sounded very much like she won't even make it to a nursing home. It did take me very much by surprise as the scenario playing in my head was that she would be coming out of hospital and going into a nursing home. He said the main thing was to make her comfortable and they were treating what they could. So I am now waiting anxiously for the scan and feeling quite numb really, I feel like I am talking about someone else and not my mum. Claire went to the hospital with me last night and she was so upset when she saw mum, but she is a very level headed girl and had said to me a few days ago when I was struggling with mum that the time to think about nursing care was here. Best wishes to you and your family.

1953barney

Nov 5, 2013
Suffolk
Trish, I'm so sorry that your Mum has declined so much and so quickly but please don't be so hard on yourself - of course you're not a bad person for considering full time nursing care for Mum - if that's what she needs now (and it does sound like it might be the next step) then doing that is the right thing, it's you doing your best for your Mum and sometimes that does mean not doing it all yourself. It's a horrible time for you all I know so see your Mum as much as you can and treasure that time, you've done the best and you are still doing the best for Mum.

Sending hugs, Essie.

Hi Essie, mums condition is much worse than we thought as she has problems with her liver, so while I have been beating myself up about the nursing home, it is looking very unlikely that she will make it out of hospital. Thank you for the hugs very much appreciated

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
Hi Carla lovely to hear from you. The consultant came to speak to me today and he said they very concerned about mum's liver, he even asked if she had been a heavy drinker. Mum has always been the complete opposite having the very odd sherry and nothing much else. They were moving her to another ward and were arranging for her to have a scan. The way he spoke to me it sounded very much like she won't even make it to a nursing home. It did take me very much by surprise as the scenario playing in my head was that she would be coming out of hospital and going into a nursing home. He said the main thing was to make her comfortable and they were treating what they could. So I am now waiting anxiously for the scan and feeling quite numb really, I feel like I am talking about someone else and not my mum. Claire went to the hospital with me last night and she was so upset when she saw mum, but she is a very level headed girl and had said to me a few days ago when I was struggling with mum that the time to think about nursing care was here. Best wishes to you and your family.

O my. I'm so sorry. What a surprise, indeed. Liver damage can occur from a number of problems, not just alcohol. Your physician knows that, of course, but probably was making assumptions based on what he was seeing. He was just trying to pin it down, not meaning anything bad, I'm sure. I'm so sorry. It all seems to have been sudden, but I guess the signs were there, all along, but no one knew how to read them. I feel this way about my mother. She is doing well, but she looks puffy and just doesn't quite seem right. But they say all is okay with her. I hope your daughter and her family cope okay with this. And you - my heart is with you and your mother and your family.