Esa

vonvonvon

Mar 1, 2015
Morning all
Hope you're all enjoying the lovely sunshine I have here ATM

I'm wondering if anyone has experience of ESA & can give me any guidelines that you may of figured out :)
Von

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Morning all
Hope you're all enjoying the lovely sunshine I have here ATM

I'm wondering if anyone has experience of ESA & can give me any guidelines that you may of figured out :)
Von

My husband got ESA when he got dismissed by police force for having dementia! Because of dementia he was put in the support group and got a bit more money a week not hugely more but a bit :) He got this until he was of retirement age . Hope this helps .

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Alison N

Jan 3, 2015
Surrey
Does anyone know if dementia sufferers are automatically put in the support group? I know there is also a work related group where the allowance is not as high. My husband is going through medical retirement as he can no longer carry out his job and I have been wondering about this for some time. Thanks.

vonvonvon

Mar 1, 2015
Does anyone know if dementia sufferers are automatically put in the support group? I know there is also a work related group where the allowance is not as high. My husband is going through medical retirement as he can no longer carry out his job and I have been wondering about this for some time. Thanks.

HI Alison,
I wondered that too, you would think so wouldn't you really, Maybe someone can clarify that, I'm worried about applying if I wouldn't be able to claim, I get very nervous about these things
Von

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone

Working group does not get that much! My husband was declared unfit for work by the Met so he went automatically in the support group .

seagull50

Dec 13, 2014
North Devon
support group and finance matters

I was diagnosed in December and made my 1st claim for support in Feb this year. I have been only getting £72 each week and told I would I need to attend my atos medical before a decision on weather I am put in a support group or not will be made. Ive still not heard from Atos about a date for a medical. I am also on the old system of disability allowance, im on middle rate and lower for mobility, and benefits people have not taken this into consideration at all. Its all really difficult trying to sort out your finances on top of being given a dementia diagnosis I feel for everybody in this situation and its all so wrong. Good luck with everything xxx

vonvonvon

Mar 1, 2015
It seems to me that it would be a lot easier on us all if, when sorting out PIP benefits, we were advised about ESA & how we go about applying, I had an ATOS appointment (is that the right word) back last year, will I need another one ??
Confused

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
It seems to me that it would be a lot easier on us all if, when sorting out PIP benefits, we were advised about ESA & how we go about applying, I had an ATOS appointment (is that the right word) back last year, will I need another one ??
Confused

We didn't have to go to ATOS ??? Could be because OH got declared u fit for work by his employers.

vonvonvon

Mar 1, 2015
We didn't have to go to ATOS ??? Could be because OH got declared u fit for work by his employers.

Hi Chick

Sorry, I'm probably not explaining myself ( I knew wot I meant LOL)
I was diagnosed in Aug, so needed to see ATOS nurse to get my PIP sorted, I think it would help if they gave you some info that may help in the future while doing that initial consultation
Von

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Hi Chick

Sorry, I'm probably not explaining myself ( I knew wot I meant LOL)
I was diagnosed in Aug, so needed to see ATOS nurse to get my PIP sorted, I think it would help if they gave you some info that may help in the future while doing that initial consultation
Von

So true !!! It took ages to sort everything out but we are also still on disability instead of pip! Never had to deal with ATOS yet but not sure what will happen when we get the pip forms !

vonvonvon

Mar 1, 2015
My experience of Atos so far has been largely positive, but I understand that its an easier process when applying from the beginning as opposed to changing from DLA.

This is such a minefield at a time when you are already struggling, wishing you ( & all of us) good luck with it
Von

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
So many things have changed since DLA ! He got more health issues since then so hopefully will be ok with pip xx

kingybell

Feb 3, 2015
You have to apply. I have just received highest payment for my mil for both ESA and pip.
She was made to go through an assessment for the ESA (which distressed her a bit).
I would say the more evidence you have of his condition the better. I submitted a 6 page report from the memory service detailing the tests she had and the results and this seed to speed things up a bit.

vonvonvon

Mar 1, 2015
You have to apply. I have just received highest payment for my mil for both ESA and pip.
She was made to go through an assessment for the ESA (which distressed her a bit).
I would say the more evidence you have of his condition the better. I submitted a 6 page report from the memory service detailing the tests she had and the results and this seed to speed things up a bit.

WOW a 6 page report, you sound like my daughter lol
Can I ask what the assessment you refer to included? From my point of view, I've had an ATOS assessment already for the enhanced PIP, surely that should be sufficient ?
My first appointment with memory nurse since diagnosis tomorrow, will ask her & report back
Take care everyone
Von

kingybell

Feb 3, 2015
Can I ask what the assessment you refer to included? From my point of view, I've had an ATOS assessment already for the enhanced PIP, surely that should be sufficient ?
My first appointment with memory nurse since diagnosis tomorrow, will ask her & report back
Take care everyone
Von

Yeh they will use your pip assessment, it's the only joined up thing they do in the entire process.
The report is the diagnosis report we had from the psychologist detailing how she scored on cognitive, memory and spacial awareness tests. If you have had this done I would put it in there. You can get this from your GP.
It's taken me months of pushing for this as my mil kept losing letters for her atos assessments.

vonvonvon

Mar 1, 2015
Take care everyone
Von

Ok , so as promised, I've just had my first appointment with the memory nurse since my MCI diagnosis, apparently I don't get another one as I only have an MCI not a dementia diagnosis (then I'd get one annually)
She had never heard of ESA as normally deals with people over 65 (I'm 51)
Apparently my job isn't helping ( I know)
Keep taking the antidepressants & be kind to yourself.. not quite what I was looking for TBH
Onwards & upwards
Von

kingybell

Feb 3, 2015
I found my mil was falling down the gaps of the system because she was 56. I kept pushing eventually she had 5 different tests and a brain scan. They don't want to see her for a yr now but we have a diagnosis which helped.

I found there was no help under one roof for her so googled everything and eventually got.

- I'm an appointee for benefits calls and letters
- council tax reduced to 20%
- enhanced pip payment
- highest payment of ESA
- social worker

This is after over 30 phone calls and 3 separate visits from people linked to benefits office. Each time they would address my mil like she was a carer and then we had to explain she was the one needing help.
Happy to help vonvon if you need pointing in the right direction,

The benefits system seems to penalise the very people it is set up to help.

vonvonvon

Mar 1, 2015
I found my mil was falling down the gaps of the system because she was 56. I kept pushing eventually she had 5 different tests and a brain scan. They don't want to see her for a yr now but we have a diagnosis which helped.

I found there was no help under one roof for her so googled everything and eventually got.

- I'm an appointee for benefits calls and letters
- council tax reduced to 20%
- enhanced pip payment
- highest payment of ESA
- social worker

This is after over 30 phone calls and 3 separate visits from people linked to benefits office. Each time they would address my mil like she was a carer and then we had to explain she was the one needing help.
Happy to help vonvon if you need pointing in the right direction,

The benefits system seems to penalise the very people it is set up to help.

Gosh I wish you were close enough to meet for coffee :eek:)
What worries me is I don't like to apply for something I'm not likely to get, (MCI diagnosis not dementia) I worry that will flag me on some sort of 'bad list'.. I'm still working, but my job isn't really suitable for me anymore, I'm looking for something new but until then...
Your MIL is lucky to have you
x

kingybell

Feb 3, 2015
Gosh I wish you were close enough to meet for coffee :eek:)
What worries me is I don't like to apply for something I'm not likely to get, (MCI diagnosis not dementia) I worry that will flag me on some sort of 'bad list'.. I'm still working, but my job isn't really suitable for me anymore, I'm looking for something new but until then...
Your MIL is lucky to have you
x

You have an impairment and it's affecting work therefore you should apply.
Use your diagnosis details to fill in the paperwork.
You may not get an advanced payment but should be entitled to something. Ensure you mention how it affects your daily life