First intelligible words from Mum in months

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Mum 'How's your mother?'

Me 'She's fine' (didn't want to spoil the first conversation in ages by saying 'you're my mother'!

Mum 'And your Dad?'

Me 'He's fine too' (he's been dead 3 years but didn't seem the moment to remind her!)

Mum 'Where's all your men?'

Me 'I've only got David and he's away at uni but will be home next weekend for the holidays' (thinking to myself 'all my men? If I only had the time and the stamina maybe!'

First conversation with Mum in longer than I care to remember - I guess I just have to take what I can get!

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dera Brenda, that's wonderful news!

When you remember how ill she was almost a year ago, it's amazing that she has recovered to this extent. Hope for us all!

Thanks for sharing this.

Love,

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Dera Brenda, that's wonderful news!

When you remember how ill she was almost a year ago, it's amazing that she has recovered to this extent. Hope for us all!

Thanks for sharing this.

Love,

Don't want to be a damp squib Hazel but I suspect this was just a flash in the pan. :(

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Maybe, Brenda, but it was a 'real' converstion, and something to remember. Hopefully there will be more.

Love,

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
It really is a red letter day when that happens, even if it doesn't last. I remember my last "lucid" conversation with my mother and it's bittersweet.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
It really is a red letter day when that happens, even if it doesn't last. I remember my last "lucid" conversation with my mother and it's bittersweet.

Yes, and on the increasingly infrequent occasions that it happens I always wonder whether it will be the last time. I can't remember the last time she said my name and I think that today she was maybe thinking she was my sister - my sister has a husband and three sons, hence 'all your men' would make some sort of sense!

janetruth

Mar 20, 2007
nuneaton
Hello Brenda

Today I asked my mum 'who's my Mum' she said 'I can't remember, I'll have to ask the girls.'
Mum lives with us and the past 2 months I have been my Mum's Mum,Sister, Cousin,best friend,Nurse and sometimes even her Daughter.
It breaks my heart, but I know Mum's brain, like a computer, has ALL the information stored, it comes out in the wrong order.
There have been MANY similar conversations, some make me laugh ( inwardly, of course) and others make me realise, just how this TERRIBLE ILLNESS takes our loved ones away from reality.
Take Care
Janetruth X

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Brenda.
You`ve had an `exchange` with your mother, some contact, some communication. It came after a long time, so it must have some significance.
Even if it was inaccurate...............it was contact.
Love xx

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Dear Brenda.
You`ve had an `exchange` with your mother, some contact, some communication. It came after a long time, so it must have some significance.
Even if it was inaccurate...............it was contact.
Love xx

You're right Sylvia and I am glad it happened, even though it was unsettling, for want of a better word.

Libby

May 20, 2006
North East
Hi Brenda

I'm glad that your Mum was able to communicate, even if it was short and sweet.

Most of the time, Mum doesn't know who I am, but when I tell her, her little face lights up, and she says "oh that's lovely - I really like you" Sometimes, I've got to turn away, so she can't see the tears, but most of the time we just have a laugh. (I normally go on to tell her that I'm her favourite of all her children:rolleyes:)

Nothing wrong with blowing your own trumpet sometimes!

Libs