my mum

lizzylou

Apr 7, 2015
Have just joined and I am so grateful to have people to talk to in the same position as me.my lovely mum was diagnosed with vd in November. Early stages good days and bad.went into hospital a week ago with high blood sugar she is diabetic type 2, and her dementia has been awful. Doc said it is probably because she is not in her own surroundings but im not convinced. Any one wish to comment I will be grateful

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Hello lizzyloo and welcome to Talking Point, every time my husband 'who has vascular dementia' goes into hospital his dementia gets really bad and he is uncontrollable but a few days at home and he is back to where he was before he went in,

I have read on here that this happens a lot,

Hospital seems to have this affect on them, I hope your mum is feeling better soon and that she gets back to her usual self when she returns home,

Best wishes

Aloysius

Aug 19, 2014
Folkestone
Have just joined and I am so grateful to have people to talk to in the same position as me.my lovely mum was diagnosed with vd in November. Early stages good days and bad.went into hospital a week ago with high blood sugar she is diabetic type 2, and her dementia has been awful. Doc said it is probably because she is not in her own surroundings but im not convinced. Any one wish to comment I will be grateful

Hi, lizzylou. Welcome to the forums. I suppose none of us would wish to be here but it's incredibly helpful and supportive. I think, judging by my own mum who probably has vd. (No confirmed diagnosis yet) that it is really disorienting for your mum to be out of her known surroundings. I suppose we take it for granted when we're well but all the new smells, sounds, people must be confusing in an already confusing world! My mum was worse when she visited me and my uncle said that when he dropped her back to her flat , she visibly relaxed and seemed less confused. It's hard to know- like peering through a grimy window-we can't see clearly what it's like for them. Is your mum living independently and does she have carers? I'm trying to arrange carers but Mum is determined not to have them.:roll eyes: I suppose blood sugar levels would affect your mum too? Probably haven't helped much but wanted to respond. Best wishes A

Cath59

Jan 23, 2015

Very similar experience as my Mum has a heart condition which has seen her in hospital a couple of times recently. in her case deterioration has been fast since another trauma and she is now in a care home as she feels she needs someone to look after her all the time. I wanted to post with some reassurance though. In hospital my mum was hallucinating, didn't have a clue where she was, was very miserable and angry. Outside her memory is poor but her main problem is functional- she has some physical problems and can't make anything work (including the telephone) but she is still very much herself. All those problems had started suddenly and before she went into hospital. The extra, very distressing symptoms that came with hospital admission disappeared very quickly once discharged. She doesn't even remember being there!

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
It does seem to be a part of this illness, unfamiliar surroundings especially when ill and needing hospital treatment, not a great combination. Sure your mum will be home soon and everything back to normal.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mshaw6