Does anyone know...

GarageDragon

Jan 20, 2015
...where I can find out how many people I need to get to sign the Powers of Attorney forms? There is only one 'person to be told', but I'm not sure if this means I need to find more than one 'Certificate Provider'? If I need another certificate provider, can the certificate providers be married? With an actual diagnosis for my mother now (mixed Alzheimer's and Vascular), I realise that speed is of the essence while capacity is still there - I hadn't realised how fast the time would go. People were so helpful previously (and I have read the .gov information), I hoped that someone could point me in the direction of a simple answer here too (I realise that a solicitor would be able to provide assistance, but pennies are few and if we can do it without the extra charges, we need to)

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
If you have at least one 'person to be told', then you only need one certificate provider. You don't need a solicitor unless there some doubt as to mental capacity. The certificate provider can also be the witness to all the signatures.

That's what I did for my mum and it's saved £2500 + vat etc that a solicitor quoted! I know they are not so expensive. Remember your mum may be entitled to no charge to register it if she has state pension top up or pays no council tax

GarageDragon

Jan 20, 2015
Thank you very much for your comments here, I shall attempt to press ahead. I am not 100% sure that she qualifies for a complete exemption of the charges, but certainly for a 50% discount - if I can find the relevant paperwork!

May I ask a supplimentary question? Given that we are going to have initially to find the funds (although a preliminary search down the back of the sofa has so far only yielded 2p and a missing pen) ourselves, what's the easiest way to make sure that we can recover any costs incurred? I feel a bit of a heel worrying about what to others are likely to sound like trivial amounts of money, but, well, it is not a trivial amount to us.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
It cost £110 per POA

The cost is reduced by 50% if their income is below £12000

They be be exempt if they receive certain benefits.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Thank you very much for your comments here, I shall attempt to press ahead. I am not 100% sure that she qualifies for a complete exemption of the charges, but certainly for a 50% discount - if I can find the relevant paperwork!

May I ask a supplimentary question? Given that we are going to have initially to find the funds (although a preliminary search down the back of the sofa has so far only yielded 2p and a missing pen) ourselves, what's the easiest way to make sure that we can recover any costs incurred? I feel a bit of a heel worrying about what to others are likely to sound like trivial amounts of money, but, well, it is not a trivial amount to us.

Why do you have to fund it? If she is able to sign an LPA, she should be able to sign a cheque for the money? Btw, while you are at it, do a health and welfare LPA too. If you can get it half price, it's only an additional £55, and might come in handy later.

GarageDragon

Jan 20, 2015
Why do you have to fund it? If she is able to sign an LPA, she should be able to sign a cheque for the money? Btw, while you are at it, do a health and welfare LPA too. If you can get it half price, it's only an additional £55, and might come in handy later.
In this instance it's not a question of capability, but of funds (and this is by no means a new thing - I don't expect to discover any hidden stashes that we can use to assist her, if you see what I mean)

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Obviously I don't know her financial circumstances but if she is that short that she can't pay £110, surely she should be on qualifying benefits that would enable her to register it for free?
Does she get Attendance Allowance? That's not a qualifying benefit but might help pay for it? In any case, if you have to pay for her, you can reimburse yourself once the LPA is granted.

stevew

Oct 30, 2010
CORNWAL
Hi, could i respectfully suggest contacting the office of the public guardian, they are very helpful with these matters. On a note of caution, if there is already a diagnosis, capacity may be an issue, an appropriate doctor may be required to complete any medical forms.
Best wishes steve

Reflection

Feb 25, 2015
Reflection

Hello. New to this site but been dipping in over a period of time. The latest posting on POA has been very helpful as many of my friends have suggested I go down this route. I hope I will be able to get some advice from others should I get into difficulties.

janey106

Dec 10, 2013
Hello. New to this site but been dipping in over a period of time. The latest posting on POA has been very helpful as many of my friends have suggested I go down this route. I hope I will be able to get some advice from others should I get into difficulties.

Hi Reflection and welcome to TP!

One of the greatest sources of comfort my Sister and I have is knowing we have POAs for both parents for health and finances (mum is one with problems but Dad did it also to make it easier to help Mum to do it pre-diagnosis - we did it May 2013 and only now getting diagnosis). We know that if we need to act to keep them safe and protect them, we can. We have both seen our friends have considerable difficulty without them to help loved ones so would back your friends suggestions to do it, sooner rather than later!