Mother in fully funded NHS Care - When this ends query.

happyhacker

Aug 11, 2014
My Mother is under this Care scheme. Now at the moment she pays nothing towards the Care except for minor costs, clothes and toiletries which I know she likes but the point is her finances are building up over time. When she eventually dies I am wondering how the NHS winds up the arrangement. Will she be liable for any costs or maybe she reaches a certain level of wealth she should be paying something in. I wonder if anyone has had experience or knowledge of this of this. Thanks.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
My Mother is under this Care scheme. Now at the moment she pays nothing towards the Care except for minor costs, clothes and toiletries which I know she likes but the point is her finances are building up over time. When she eventually dies I am wondering how the NHS winds up the arrangement. Will she be liable for any costs or maybe she reaches a certain level of wealth she should be paying something in. I wonder if anyone has had experience or knowledge of this of this. Thanks.

Hi Happyhacker

As long as your Mum continues to receive CHC funding there will be nothing to pay whatever the balance in her bank account/investments:) CHC is awarded because of a primary need and is not means tested. The NHS will not ask for any payment on her death. The funding should be assessed after 3 months (although in my late Husband's case it was 9) and then yearly. Be prepared for the funding to be withdrawn after any of those assessments if your Mum's needs change.:(

Take care

Lyn T XX

alielbutterfly

Nov 20, 2014
Cost for Respite

Hi

My mum is in a nursing home for respite (dont thinks she will be coming out as dad has been caring for her for 8 years at it was a crisis situation as she is in latter stages of Alzheimers) and the finance section of the council (Kent) are saying my dad has to pay a top up fee £50 a week and my mum will have to pay full amount from day one of respite £487. My dad thinks this is incorrect as the council should be paying as well? anyone shed any lights mum has savings/investments over the £23500 which have been declared to finance dept.

Many thanks
Leila

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi

My mum is in a nursing home for respite (dont thinks she will be coming out as dad has been caring for her for 8 years at it was a crisis situation as she is in latter stages of Alzheimers) and the finance section of the council (Kent) are saying my dad has to pay a top up fee £50 a week and my mum will have to pay full amount from day one of respite £487. My dad thinks this is incorrect as the council should be paying as well? anyone shed any lights mum has savings/investments over the £23500 which have been declared to finance dept.

Many thanks
Leila

As your mother has savings of over the £23K upper savings limit (I hope they aren't joint savings incidentally) then she is self-funding, so the LA will not pay anything, so this isn't really a top-up. Your father should call the AS helpline to check, but on the face of it, from what you say, your father is incorrect.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarbH