I am 36 and I think I have early onset Alzheimer's. Terrified.

BWYNS

Mar 30, 2015
I work in the city of London, am very career focussed and work long hours. I love working, it's what gets me out of bed each day.

My dad developed early onset Alzheimer's disease when he was 46. I am just about to have my 36th birthday and I sense I too have now started my journey into full blown dementia. It's utterly terrifying.

I have episodic memory loss that seems to have worsened over the past few months. I don't know if it's stress that's making it so acute, all I know is this hideous disease runs in my family and right now I cannot explain my loss of memory. I feel so less sharp than before, like I have a layer of fog over my brain.

Ironically I work for a company is who is a big supporter of Alzheimer's society, and this proximity to the society has really heightened my awareness of my situation. I'm not a hypochondriac, I am just realistic.

Is there are anyone out there who knows what I am going through? I'm literally terrified. :(

CeliaThePoet

Dec 7, 2013
Buffalo, NY, USA
Please see your GP and get a full workup including blood panels. Vitamin deficiencies, stress and loss of sleep can all affect the brain very dramatically. Best of luck.

RosiePop

Mar 21, 2015
Dear BWYNS I think it is very unlikely that you have dementia.

I do have a friend who developed it in her late forties. There was a history of it on both sides of her family. I have been involved with her throughout.

I work in the City too. I feel the same way about my job. My proximity to my friend frequently ( daily) makes me think I may have problems too. I don't.

I think it is unlikely you do too. If you are worried though, you can take a test.

If I can help you at all I would be very willing to.

You have come to the right place. There will always be someone here to help you.

RP

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi BWYNS, Welcome to TP
There is a slightly elevated risk if but it is slight, there's a link to the factsheet below.
I hit a wall at about the same age as you, out at the crack of dawn, home late and with 2 small children and I was just taking more out of myself than I was putting back in.
You really need to get checked out by a doctor, there are literally dozens of things that could be causing it, you need the full set of tests to get to the bottom of it, sitting at home and worrying won't help it will only make things worse.
It's a big step making the appointment and tell the doctor what your fears are, but I'll put a tenner it turns out to be something completely different. As with any disease the general rule is the sooner it's diagnosed the more effective the treatments available.
K
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/factsheet/405

Joodie

Aug 10, 2012
central england

I work in the city of London, am very career focussed and work long hours. I love working, it's what gets me out of bed each day.

My dad developed early onset Alzheimer's disease when he was 46. I am just about to have my 36th birthday and I sense I too have now started my journey into full blown dementia. It's utterly terrifying.

I have episodic memory loss that seems to have worsened over the past few months. I don't know if it's stress that's making it so acute, all I know is this hideous disease runs in my family and right now I cannot explain my loss of memory. I feel so less sharp than before, like I have a layer of fog over my brain.

Ironically I work for a company is who is a big supporter of Alzheimer's society, and this proximity to the society has really heightened my awareness of my situation. I'm not a hypochondriac, I am just realistic.

Is there are anyone out there who knows what I am going through? I'm literally terrified. :(

Hi. Lisa Genova, who holds a Ph.D. in neuroscience has just written a book called "Still Alice" about early onset Alzheimers, describing how a sufferer might feel, in which she says tests can be done to show whether or not you are carrying the gene for it.
It is understandable that some people prefer not to know.
I am sorry this is scaring you so much. Hopefully there will be a different explanation, like stress.
Take care.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello BWYNS. Welcome to TP.
I really lot hope your problems are caused by stress or You are lacking in something like my dad was/is. Even the menopause can cause similar symptoms I know this is unlikely at your age but it does happen . I know you must be so so worried.
The best thing to do is talk to your GP.

Personally I would keep a diary of your symptoms for a short while and take this to the GP.
Explain your fears and dad having early onset dementia (EOD)
And ask for blood tests for things that can cause memory problems, their are many , with my dad it's lacking Folic Acid .

I too think it's likely to be stress also a heightened awareness of dementia may be playing its part .
But it's wise to check it out.

I was in a job I loved , it involved long hours away from home , because I loved it I really didn't realise how stressful it was until took a break to care for mum then took early retirement. I look back now and wonder how I managed for so long .

Last edited:

Owly

Jun 6, 2011
Eat plenty of garlic because it helps to keep down damaging amounts of toxins in the body - bacteria, yeasts (candida), fungi and viruses. If you have infective agents in your brain, you will temporarily feel more brain fog after eating garlic, as the toxins are killed off. But then things will be better. Garlic once a week should do the trick.

The amyloid plaque in Alzheimer's brains is antimicrobial and may form as part of the immune system, the brain responding to toxins. Please google for articles about that.

Getting extra Vit D will help too as they think it reduces plaque. Get out in the sun as much as you can and take supplements. A general Multivitamin and Mineral supplement will be helpful anyway. The brain needs zinc to function well. The top food recommended the other day for brain health (in the Daily Mail) was green leafy vegetables (rocket, spinach, watercress, kale) and they contain zinc. Also take magnesium supplements or flakes in the bath for your work stress. Magnesium widens your arteries and improves blood flow throughout.

We all have some amyloid in our brains, even at a young age. There was a Daily Mail article about it being found in young brains where they had died of accidents. So it's not just an old-age condition that strikes some people early. It's more likely an intrinsic part of our body's normal functioning, that in some people can run out of control.

This is a helpful read - (articles about mental health frequently appear there)

http://www.sott.net/article/294420-...in-with-exercise-and-environmental-enrichment

Last edited:

kingybell

Feb 3, 2015
Hopefully this is just down to stress together with a heightened awareness of the condition.
I am same age as you I too have had a forgetful couple of months but I'm working long hours with 2 nights a week away from home and trying to look after mil and her dementia and keep up with a 5 yr old.
I'm just tired. Don't under estimate how much pressure working in the city can be.
I'd say take some time out switch off every device you own and relax for a week or two.
If your memory seems better as a result then it's probably sensory overload.

I'm not a Dr though so if you are still concerned get yourself checked out.